General question: is this forum also for discussions? Or questions only?

miketranch

Question

So, here I am in the T&M section of forum, and the button to make a new post says Ask Question.  I have indeed asked questions and got excellent support, thanks!  I just posted about adding a ground wire to BNC adaptor.  Not really a question.  I checked the rules and it doesn't really address this.  At the top level forum the button says create new post or similar.  Maybe there's a different section for T&M discussion ?

2 answers to this question

Hi @miketranch,

You're correct that there isn't anything explicitly laid out in the rules regarding general discussion.

What I would probably recommend if you know your post is going to be a more of a discussion topic and not support, I would probably put it Suggestions & Feedback, Off Topic, or Technical Based Off-Topic Discussions (dependent on the style of the post of course).

Personally, I consider your post about adding the ground wire to the BNC Adapter living in Test and Measurement as "fine". I don't have any plans to move it at the moment, at least.

If you plan on making a number of non-question posts, then I would recommend considering putting the question/topic in one of the other categories as appropriate. There isn't anything that is dedicated to T&M discussion, mostly because there hasn't been enough posts to merit making such a subforum.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Though I did end up moving this particular thread to Other just now once I saw it was in T&M, mostly because it "felt right"; I don't have any more methodical reasoning at the moment outside of the post not feeling enough like T&M hardware/software related. Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks,
JColvin