How to log multiple UART from Logic Analyzer

mms14

Question

Hello,

I would to log (store in files with the timestamp in front of each line) up to 16 UART-Rx signal, I guess I should use the Logic instrument and create n UART.

I started playing with some FDwfDigitalIn functions and I was wondering what was the quickest solution to do this, but I don't know the possibilities : do it directly in the Waveforms SW, open Logic Analyzer with Record mode OR using a script with SDK ?

Thanks,

9 answers to this question

Hi @mms14,

There are a couple of options with the script or the SDK to get the timing (resolution depends on what device you are using with newer device being synchronized with the host computer time). These two threads talk about a bit more about the options here:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin,

Thanks for your answer, so you recommend to use the SDK. To log multiple UART at the same time, should I use the Logic Analyzer instrument or the Protocol:UART instrument ? because it looks like in the Software and SDK, we can have only one UART using the Protocol instrument.

If I use the Logic Analyzer instrument, how to decode the buffer in ascii ?

If I use the Protocol:UART instrument, how to get multiple UART record ?

Thanks.

Thank you @attila,

Sorry if i was not specific enough, at the end I would record multiple UART for days and get one file per UART per day, example :

logfiles.png.a5ea9dd371b8e3dac3aa74801bef2f8e.png

and file content :

[00:00:13.897] -- This is UART log
[00:00:13.912] -- There is a new line on each '\n'
[00:00:13.928] -- This is another data

Looks like tricky to do it if we consider record each 32,768 samples per channel and do it again all the day, I would need a stream mode and save it every 10 minutes for example. (baudrate is 115200)

Edited by mms14
add details

Hi @attila,

Thank you, I didn't changed the AD3 configuration in Settings / Device Manager, now the 4th or 5th configuration allows me to get 10M samples maximum, so now I can record up to 40s (at 250kHz), which is do-able to log the entire day with a small logging script. I don't know how you get 240M samples ?

image.png.43dc3815d7b8e701bd2722cbbb62579b.png

image.thumb.png.5edf46a6605ed52a1ae9ad09d457ad1c.png

Edited by mms14

Hello @attila,

Good to know,

I'm working on Raspberry Pi, 64 bit OS

Edit : Did I install the 32 bit version ?

image.png.bd7d392ee0bdc259140d4f9a2badebb0.png

Or is it link to digilent Adept ?

Should I try to install a Waveforms linux 64 bit version ?

Thank you

Edited by mms14

Hi @mms14

On Linux usually only the OS architecture's applications are supported.
The 64 bit OS and application (ARM64 for raspberry) will allow to capture more data but this system has its own limitations. The USB/system is slower and I'm not sure if you will be able to record at the desired rate.