Convert from Arty Z7 USB UART to RS-232 serial

oatsy

Question

Hello, I'm looking for an adapter to convert from Arty Z7 USB UART to RS-232 serial connector.

I've got an application running on Arty Z7 that uses the UART for interface, however what I really need is to get this on a network.  We use MOXA serial-to-ethernet devices regularly for this, however it expects a real RS-232 serial interface (9-pin). The Arty Z7 includes an FTDI FT2232HQ USB-UART bridge (attached to connector J14) that lets you use PC applications to communicate with the board using standard COM port commands.  I need to convert this USB protocol back to RS-232 serial.

Can anyone recommend a FTDI USB to RS-232 adapter cable?  Most of the USB to RS-232 cables I've found are meant to go the other way -- provide a USB interface for a PC to connect to a serial device.  The Arty Z7 is already a USB device, I want to convert it's interface back to RS-232.

1 answer to this question

Hi @oatsy,

This isn't directly an FTDI to RS-232 converter, but you could use something like the Pmod RS232, https://digilent.com/reference/pmod/pmodrs232/start. You can then send any of the UART data over whatever Pmod port that the Pmod RS232 is attached to. This Forum thread goes through how this might be done on a Zynq device:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin