Need help in selecting a DAQ! MCC USB-2416-4AO

metalhouse

Question

Hi everyone,

I am a research student at a university in BC, Canada. I am a mechanical engineer so my electronics knowledge is pretty trivial. Having said that, I have been able to shortlist a DAQ system for a test rig I am building (MCC USB-2416-4AO) and I want the opinion of learned people on this platform if my choice is correct. Basically, I have to measure 16 inputs in total of which some have to be measured at 5Hz. The inputs are pressure, temperature, flow (pulse) and position from LVIT sensors. I also have to control a DCV to switch between positions (hence the need of an output) and this switching will have to be fairly quick (take response from a pressure transmitter and change DCV position, looking at response of around 100mS). Would the MCC USB-2416-4AO: Expandable Thermocouple and Voltage Measurement DAQ Device be able to do these things?

Thanks and regards,

metalhouse

1 answer to this question

Every input channel has a low-pass filter setting called Data Rate, and for thermocouples, it is highly suggested it be set to 60Hz. If you set all the channels to 60Hz, the maximum sample rate is 3.6Hz. Throughput can be calculated using the formula on page 16 of the user manual

Some pressure sensors require a signal conditioner because they require regulated power and amplification.  

LVIT sensors also require signal conditioners, unless they have the necessary electronics to convert the inductance change to a linear voltage. 

The output of a flow sensor is typically a frequency (square wave). However, the USB-2416-4AO does not have a frequency input. Its Counter input can only count or totalize the number of pulses it sees. It is recommended to use a frequency-to-voltage signal conditioner for these.

The update rate of an analog or digital output is 100Hz, so 100ms is reasonable.