Rebuilding Genesys ZU out-of-box demo with Vivado 2023.1 not ready for prime time?

BMiller

Question

I recently updated my toolset to 2023.1 after realizing there was no OOB version that supported 2022.1 for my new Genesys ZU 5ev (gotta love those black friday sales). After installing Genesys-ZU-HW branch ev/oob/next (which purports to be for 2023.1), and trying to generate a bitstream, I had a couple warnings about clocks (likely benign but I can probably track them down) and the following licensing-related errors:

WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-650] IP license key 'v_hdmi@2017.10' is enabled with a Design_Linking license

[Common 17-69] Command failed: This design contains one or more cells for which bitstream generation is not permitted:
system_i/v_hdmi_tx_ss_0/U0/v_hdmi_tx/inst (<encrypted cellview>)
system_i/v_hdmi_rx_ss_0/U0/v_hdmi_rx/inst (<encrypted cellview>)
If a new IP Core license was added, in order for the new license to be picked up, the current netlist needs to be updated by resetting and re-generating the IP output products before bitstream generation.

Other than investing in my own license for this IP which seems like overkill, any suggestions on how best to proceed?

6 answers to this question

Hi @BMiller,

I received confirmation that the 2023.1 OOB material, both hardware and sw branches, is not yet ready; once it is completed (I do not know the timeframe on this) it will move out of the /next branch and into /master. You are also correct that the patch isn't needed in 2022.x onwards; Digilent will remove that note from the appropriate readme file.

However, regardless of the version of the tool suite used, the OOB demo uses the HDMI IP which needs its own license, as noted in the Reference Manual, https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/genesys-zu/reference-manual#software_support. I verified that the exact same error comes up on my license free machine for 2020.1 which the OOB material is based on:

[Common 17-69] Command failed: This design contains one or more cells for which bitstream generation is not permitted:
system_i/v_hdmi_tx_ss_0/U0/v_hdmi_tx/inst (<encrypted cellview>)
system_i/v_hdmi_rx_ss_0/U0/v_hdmi_rx/inst (<encrypted cellview>)
If a new IP Core license was added, in order for the new license to be picked up, the current netlist needs to be updated by resetting and re-generating the IP output products before bitstream generation.

Unfortunately, there is not a real workaround to this outside of removing the licensed IPs from the design and then regenerating the bitstream.

It might be possible (I have not tried nor investigated the following) to use some sort of DVI implementation instead, but you would not be able to get the 'full' HDMI 1.4b/2.0.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @BMiller,

I tried building the 5EV OOB for 2023.1 as well on my machine (I don't have any licenses) and got the same error as well. Admittedly, I had forgotten to apply the patch that was mentioned at the bottom of the readme (https://github.com/Digilent/Genesys-ZU-HW/tree/5ev/oob/next) before generating any IPs, but regardless I've reached out for some additional insight into this.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin, thanks for your response. I was under the impression that the patch you refer to was not needed for 2022 or later versions of Vivado/Vitis, based on the text on the referenced page, specifically: "This patch will be applied for Vivado and Vitis (including HLS) versions 2014.x through 2021.2." Note that the issue reported there is not related to the license issue above but seems to be related to an overflow when the calendar rolled past 12-31-21, so my expectation would be that the later products already integrated a solution for this problem!

59 minutes ago, JColvin said:

Unfortunately, there is not a real workaround to this outside of removing the licensed IPs from the design and then regenerating the bitstream.

Thanks; I don't actually need this IP for my application(s), but thought I had done something wrong (or something important was missing) for the "Design Linking" license to fail!