Adept 2 Features

Rich E

Question

I just downloaded the latest version of Adept (v2.27.9-2).  The website under 'Features' it indicates: 'Program Xilinx XCFS devices using .bit or .mcs files'.  But .mcs is not listed in the drop down selection (.bit and .svf).

Does Adept support .mcs files?

Adept 2.png

Edited by Rich E

6 answers to this question

Hi @Rich E

From what I can see, MCS files are only supported for programming Platform Flash devices that are connected to a JTAG programmer directly. This means that MCS files are not supported for programming the SPI flash devices typically found on Digilent's 7-series FPGA boards.

Hope this helps,

Arthur

I'm a little confused.  The JTAG-HS3 we're using 

JTAG-HS3.png.c04e7214451751253ddb6100522c7ffa.png

is used for communicating through a Xilinx (now AMD) FPGA. The Digilent JTAG-HS3 programs a Xilinx XCFS Platform Flash device (i.e. QSPI memory) using a .bit or .mcs file via through embedded code in the Vivado platform.  The .bit is a proprietary file format organic to Xilinx whereas the .mcs is a hex file format (alternative).  The stand-alone Adept 2 software is listed as supporting (webpage in first post) but when Adept 2 is executed:

AdeptScreen.png.43a3081d7d093a95f2a41f6878e24acc.png

when the 'Browse' button is clicked:

FileTypeScreen.png.111e61277cc4dbbb01f6b57c0e01fcb8.png

.mcs is NOT listed in the list. Is this an oversight in the Adept 2 application that needs to be patched or is the webpage for Adept 2 is flat out wrong?  Obviously the JTAG-HS3 hardware can handle a .bit or .mcs file either in Vivado.

Edited by Rich E

I spoke to the engineer who maintains Adept, and he indicated that programming SPI Flash devices indirectly through an FPGA is generally not supported. The way that Vivado handles indirect programming of these devices relies on it shipping with bitstreams for different FPGA devices that provide bridge logic to various flash memories, with a wide variety of combinations supported, Adept doesn't have the same support (largely due to development cost and redundant features compared to the existing Vivado support).

Platform Flash devices directly attached to the JTAG interface ought to be supported. As I understand it, XCFS Platform Flash is not the same thing as general QSPI memories and refers to a largely-EOL line of programmable memories offered by Xilinx. https://www.xilinx.com/products/silicon-devices/configuration-memory/platform-flash.html.

For some more context on what you are trying to use Adept to do, what device are you trying to program?

Thanks,

Arthur

We wanted to use Adept to program configuration devices connected to Xilinx FPGAs without the need to download Vivado.  Vivado requires a multi gigabyte download and is rather confusing for use in a production environment.  Adept appeared to be an ideal solution - compact and straight forward.

How is Adept capable of programming Xilinx XCFS devices using .mcs files when the GUI does not allow selection of a .mcs file?

Edited by Rich E

I tried programming the Xilinx configuration device (QSPI) in our hardware using a known xxx.bit file.  I erased the configuration device prior to programming and Adept indicated programming was 'successful' but after rebooting the hardware did not function.

What exactly is Adept capable of programming?

On 12/12/2023 at 7:55 AM, Rich E said:

How is Adept capable of programming Xilinx XCFS devices using .mcs files when the GUI does not allow selection of a .mcs file?

What can be selected in the GUI depends on what device is targeted.

MCS files are only supported when the target is explicitly "XCF02S", "XCF04S", or "XCF01S" devices.