Eclypse z7 acqmodeScanScreen mode

M. Hamza Öncüer

Question

7 answers to this question

Attila: "This lets you capture up to 256Mi samples @ 125MHz on 1, 2 or 4 channels. "

To be clear, I believe that what you intend to say is that a user can capture 256 Mi samples of 1 channel, 128 Mi samples on each of 2 channels, or 64 Mi samples on each of 4 channels at 125 MHz in one shot mode. How many samples of 3 channels can be captured? And these are guaranteed to be contiguous samples? Edited by zygot

Did I understand correctly the screen mode is actually does stream to pc, the record mode on other hand stores the captures to ddram and after the ddram buffer filled it sends the data to the pc is that correct ? I faced another problem the ethernet is actually performed worse than the usb, the pc I attached the z7 supports gigabit ethernet.

Hi @Hamza Oncuer@zygot

The 'single' capture mode stores the samples in the device buffer (DDR RAM of EclypseZ7 or ADP3X50 in Standard boot mode). Only after the capture is done is the data transferred to the host/computer. Yes, the capture is contiguous, up to 256Mi samples (in total) and 125MHz (for each cannel) on 1, 2 or 4 channels, or 8 channels at up to 62.5MHz. 3 channels multiplexing is not supported, so having 3 channels enabled it will actually capture on 4. 
The scan modes are intended for slow signal monitoring, like ECG signals or measurements where you are only interested if the last N samples regardless of timing to previous chunk of samples.
The 'record' is for stream capturing above device buffer size or unlimited. In this case the buffer is used as a FIFO. The maximum sample rate is limited by the USB or Ethernet. 

image.png

The gigabit ethernet has potential for a bit higher transfer rate than USB. I obtained the following with direct connection, but using switch or router could reduce the rate or greatly increase the latency.

image.png