Equivalent for the WiFire Board, Rev C or D

bobvogt1961

I have been using the Wifire Board, Rev.C, for several high speed data acquisition projects over the years.  The application involves sampling and storing sensor data at a very high rate (kHz), and then transferring to Windows machine either over serial or WiFi  for post-processing. It has been a very reliable work-horse for me.  The 200 MHz clocking has been very important.  

Is there any suggestion what board I might move over to that is still in production?

Thanks ahead for any response.

Bob

Hi @bobvogt1961,

There aren't many directly equivalent boards - the microprocessor line was EOL'd some years ago - however, there might be some other products that would be suitable. Digilent and Measurement Computing got merged together still fairly recently. There are various dedicated DAQ and data logging products that might be suitable - this page has an overview: https://digilent.com/shop/about-mcc-daq/. I asked some colleagues, and it sounds like depending on your application (particularly your channel count and specific sample rate requirements), there are various things that could fit. Raspberry Pi HATs (like MCC 172) and the E-1608 both came up.

Cheaper FPGA boards might also work, but it would be a lot more of a pull to get running, and likely be overkill for your sample rates.

Thanks,

Arthur

Dear Arthur.

Thanks for the reply.  I think I will complete my current project with the remaining WiFires I currently have. It is a nice product because it requires very basic programming (I use the Arduino IDE) and I have full confidence in the timing. It is also uniquely fast at 200 MHz.  Eventually I think I will bite the bullet and tackle the Raspberry Pi and its extra layers of operating system.  Thanks for the help.

Bob