Analog Discovery 2 suddenly not recognized by USB

lucasj

Question

Hi, I've been happy with my AD2 for a few months now, but after coming back to my work computer after a few days off, I found that it appears to have completely stopped working. The Waveforms program throws the error "No device detected".

When I plug in the AD2 with device manager open, nothing updates. There is no USB Serial Converter device listed, and no LEDs are lit on the AD2 board. I've tried different cables and USB ports.

I was using the same setup as I had been for several weeks, and nothing in my testing system is even close to the 20V rating of the digital IOs, which is all I was using.

I've had the AD2 less than a year, so does this qualify for a warranty replacement?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

Hi @lucasj

Could you test it with another computer ?

If it is still not working, for warranty and replacement contact support.digilent@ni.com, specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

To prevent further problems, could you describe the test setup ? How was the device/circuit under test supplied ? Did it had the same ground connection as the AD2 and computer, ground wired from circuit to AD2 ? Independently supplied device can have different ground voltage levels, like due to faulty earth connection, or connecting external power supply rail to AD2 ground which is connected to computer over USB can damage the devices.

Thanks for the response.

I tried a different computer and had the same result.

For my testing setup, I have an external DC power supply powering the test device, but I don't connect ground from the supply. I connect a wire from the AD2 ground to the 0V of my testing device, so I would expect the power supply reference voltage to match whatever the AD2 ground voltage is.

When you say "connecting external power supply rail to AD2 ground", do you mean accidentally connecting a non-zero voltage to the AD2 ground? Or could the testing setup I described be a problem?