JTAG-HS3 not work like serial interface

Bonand

Question

Hello,

I have a JTAG-HS3 module that I can't found in /dev/ folder to connect it like serial terminal.

I use it on zynq-7000 for programming and like serial adapter to see the boot procedure.

Why I can't found in de /dev/ folder?

image.thumb.png.c2098ec47f170b3ebb730b73e15efe50.png

Tanks,

Andrea

Edited by Bonand

2 answers to this question

I have see that probably the automatic disconnection problem is due to vivado server. If I reboot the pc and not start vivado, the /dev/ttyUSB0 appear but is not working.

I try to unse putty and minicom but the terminal is like freezed, I can't write and if I reboot the board no boot information appears.

What can I do?

Hello,

Yes the Vivado Hardware Manager will automatically claim JTAG access over Adept to the JTAG HS3 (and other Digilent JTAG programmers). You would have to the Vivado hwserver.exe closed in order for the JTAG HS3 to remain connected to Adept or a non-Vivado solution.

As for the serial terminal portion, the JTAG HS3 does not support a serial terminal connection where you can have UART data be sent over the module, https://digilent.com/reference/programmers/jtag-hs3/reference-manual. You would need a different module that supports such connections, such as the JTAG SMT3, https://digilent.com/reference/programmers/jtag-smt3/reference-manual.

There is a way to use BSCAN primitives to get serial data over JTAG lines within Xilinx SDK/Vitis, but Digilent does not have any support for getting this working within the Xilinx software suite.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin