Using Protocol analyzer and Logic analyzer feature of the Analog discovery 3 Device with CAN Network

Ahmed Bahaa

Question

Hi, I am using Analog Discovery 3 Device to spy on the received frames of a CAN Node in a Simple CAN network consisting of two CAN nodes. I am using Two CAN Nodes, Two Transceivers and a simple CAN H and CAN L Network. when connecting the GND and a digital input of the AD3 with the GND and the RX of my CAN Node I get an error Frame in the Logic analyzer and the protocol analyzer although the CAN Node is receiving  just fine and doing actions based on the Received CAN msg. What am I doing wrong?

image.PNG

image 2.PNG

Edited by Ahmed Bahaa

3 answers to this question

Hi @JColvin,

Thank you for replying.

The CAN H and CAN L voltages ranges between 1.5 to 3.5 V, Kindly note that I am only connecting a RX pin and GND to the AD3 digital pin 1 and GND

I tried measuring the input voltage to the AD3 DIO pin 1 and it was between 1 V and 3.3 V, is this in the valid range of the Digital I/O?

I attached  three screenshots:

-  a screen shot of the settings tap that appears when adding the CAN to the logic analyzer.

- a screen shot  of oscilloscope readings of the AD3 Digital input 1

- a handwritten drawing for my setup

please let me know if there is anything else I could provide to help solve the issue. Thank you for you time, hope to hear from you soon.

mySetup.thumb.jpeg.809ead3d2304076e967a63a0ee1e3867.jpeg

Adding CAN Settings Tap.PNG

Input Voltage To DIO 1.PNG

Interested if you could post your solution here. It would be helpful to maybe put an example of how to snoop on and analyze traffic on a can network. Thank you for your time