Basys 3 Board will not auto connect

Ozilate

Question

Hello I am having difficulty with connecting my Basys 3 board to my Vivando project. I have been using the board for a few weeks now so it was working up until recently. I ordered the cable from Digilent with the board. The board powers on and all LED's and switches appear to be working. However when I attempt to "Program device" in Vivando and "auto-connect" it shows "No hardware target is open". It appears Vivando is not seeing the board. I tried re-installing the device drivers using the "install_drivers_wrapper.bat" and then restarting my PC. I also tried a different Vivando project. I'm not sure what else to do from here. Could this be caused by disconnecting the board before closing out a project? I am running Windows 11.

1 answer to this question

Hi @Ozilate,

In general, disconnecting the board before powering it off (or closing a project or similar) should not cause this behavior. Based on what you have described there are a couple of potential points of failure:

1. USB cable died/was damaged so that it no longer supports data. This is unlikely, but I have had cables die before so it's worth checking with another cable to rule this out.

2. Trying a different USB port. I have a few ports on my computer that are "temperamental" for the lack of a better word about which device and cable combination they work with.

3. EEPROM on the Basys 3 somehow got messed up. Another unlikely possibility, but like the above two it can happen. Easiest way to check this is by look to see what the Bus reported device description is in the Properties (post with some additional details here: https://forum.digilent.com/topic/21713-brand-new-basys-3-user-cant-get-vivado-to-see-it/#comment-62685). If you are not able to see the board at all in the Windows Device Manager, this would point back to a cable connection problem.

Let me know what you learn.

Thanks,
JColvin