AD2 - Multiple devices synchronization.

Piotr Rzeszut

Question

Hi @attila!

Great job on an ability to synchronize two devices together! AnalogDiscovery 

This is what I wondered about some time ago:

I have a few suggestions - observations on this feature:

1. Is there a possibility to display some warning when it is detected that trigger lines have been disconnected or are not connected properly?
  2. In some tools (like interface) only channels from the main device are seen - is this a limitation of the solution or an bug?
  3. Of course I follow the naming convention of lines from the second device, but I think it would be better to name them like: DIO 1.0, DIO 1.1, ... (for the master device) and DIO 2.0, DIO 2.1, ... as in my opinion it would be easier to identify interesting channel.

Best regards and again thank you for your great work!

1 answer to this question

Hi @Piotr Rzeszut

1. If I remember correctly without T1 (reference clock for AD3, ADP3X50...) a warning is displayed in the instruments and there is a 2nd Status button (with OK, ERror..) in the status-bar for the 2nd device.
I'll have see how is the lack of T2 handled, if we can show warning for this.

2. For the moment dual supports is in: Scope, Spectrum, Wavegen, Logic, Patterns, StaticIO
We could eventually add it for Network but the measurements in this can be very sensitive on the ns/ps phase differences, it could give inaccurate phase measurements.
Impedance only uses two channels, so this does not need it.
I don't think it worth the effort for Tracer.
For some Protocol features it would not be possible to implement and it makes no sense since these use few DIO lines.

3. For 'scriptability' the indexing is continued for the 2nd device channels, Scope/Wavegen 3,4 or 5,6,7,8 and DIO 16...31 or 32...63 with labels all around '+' indicating 2nd device, (+Osc1) (+W1) +DIO0...

Thank you for the feedback.