Logging Configuration for long recordings

Eleni

Question

I am a first time user and would like to ask for some pointers on the best way to save (relatively) high sampled data (kHz range) for long recording periods (e.g days).

I assume one should not opt for the Manual logging, however the automated option seems to crash and miss files. 

- is there a way to ask for logging of files of a specific duration (e.g 1 hour) consecutively? Would this ensure no intermediate data is lost?

- is there a way to disable the plot/interface during measurement? It seems to be slow and freeze often.

- is there a way to record at 1kHz but save only the average over 100 samples in a csv file?

Thank you in advance for any helpful input!

5 answers to this question

Hi @Eleni,

I would use the Record to File option in the Scope instrument (the "Rec." button underneath File/Control/View, next to "Export") for long recordings.

I'm not certain what you are wanting with the "is there a way to record at 1kHz but save only the average over 100 samples in a csv file?". Are you wanting to record at some rate and then, for the lack of a better word, compress all of the data into 100 different samples? Or record at a rate, but only pick 100 different samples? Or is this more along the lines of the device operates at some sample rate over 100x of my recording rate, can I get an average of 100 different samples per time slot?

The ADC used in Digilent devices operates at a fixed frequency (the system clock frequency, 100 MHz by default), so if you set the sample rate to a lower value, the device will average acquired data for a particular timeslot based on the time base and the buffer size. Alternatively you can choose to decimate where you only capture every Nth sample.

I'm not certain off hand how the Record to File option determines the timebase and number of samples; the creator of the WaveForms software (Attila) should hopefully be able to give a bit more insight into that.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you very much for the very helpful reply!

This is what I mean with averaging. I am recording a signal reflecting spiking behavior. I need high sampling rates to make sure I capture the spikes, for e.g. 1kHz.

Because this implies very large files over long recording periods, I would be interested in two options:

1) An automated manner of saving files of a fixed size throughout my acquisition. So: record at 1kHz for 10 hours, but save consecutive files every some Megabytes.

2) As a compromise, it could be OK to log at 1Hz (capture the interesting peaks) and then, instead of saving at 1kHz, save only the average of every 100 samples (which corresponds to compressed files)

Is there a way to try these two options on the Waveforms software?

with best regards, Eleni