DT9817-R for switching 24V signal output

Will C

Question

Hello,

I am new to DAQ, so I would like to ask for some help on the issue I am currently facing.

I bought the DT9817-R model several months ago. The purpose is to use Labview to control the digital output to turn on/off the 24V supply to the pneumatic valve we have in the lab. I have two questions:

1. The QuickDAQ (version 3.7.0.49) does not recognize the module, so I have no way to test the unit. The computer seems to recognize the unit, thanks to the drivers installed, though. Is there a way for me to test this before I program it in Labview?

2. I connect the circuit following Figure 12 on page 40 of the UM9810-17 manual. But I am not sure where to start programming Digital Out 0 High (Screw terminal 21) and Digital Out 0 Low (Screw terminal 22) to close the circuit in Labview (so that my 24V circuit connecting to the pneumatic valve is closed)?

Any advice on these are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Best,

Will 

4 answers to this question

If I understand correctly, you're controlling a 24-volt solenoid coil that, when energized, closes or opens a pneumatic valve. If this is the case, connect +24v to one end of the solenoid and the other to Digital Out 0 High. Connect Digital Out 0 Low to -24v (24v return).  Using the DtDoutSingle.vi, When you flip up the first switch (leftmost), the output turns on, and current flows through the output transistor from +24v to -24v. Think of the output as a relay. Make sure your solenoid employs a flyback diode. It is a reverse polarity diode that is connected across the solenoid coil. It prevents unwanted voltage from being injected into the digital output when turned off. Google flyback diode for an in-depth discussion.

The DT9817-R is not compatible with the QuickDAQ software. This is because it doesn't possess the ability to control individual IO lines. 

To begin, you'll need to install the LV-Link3 LabVIEW support. Once this has been done,  start LabVIEW and run the DtDoutSingle.vi example. It should be located in \National Instruments\LabVIEW 2023l\user.lib\LV-Link3\Examples\. Refer to the DT-LV_Link3 item under LabVIEW's Help menu for more information.

Hi JRys,

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

Yes, I have already done that by following this thread 

But I am not sure how to control Digital Out 0 High and Digital Out 0 Low ports in this VI example. And how do I make a closed circuit between these two ports?

Sorry if this is very basic. I appreciate any suggestions/comments you have.

Thank you.