Plans to Update SDK to .NET Core for MCC Daq (1208, 1808, etc)?

tmorrison01

Question

Hi,

I'm just wondering if there's any plans to update the SDK to support .NET Core? .NET Framework is basically end of life now at version 4.8. All newer applications are likely going to be .NET Core but you can't reference .NET Framework DLLs from a .NET Core app. Are there plans to release a .NET Core version of the SDK?

Thanks

Edited by tmorrison01

4 answers to this question

So, I hate to even ask, but are you guys sort of giving up on that product line then? It seems like, within the next couple years, everything is going to be ported over to .NET Core. If there's no intent to ever add that support, it seems like the only alternative everyone would have would be to switch to a competitor's product. Or am I missing something.

On 8/28/2023 at 10:10 AM, JRys said:

Surprisingly, the number of requests for .Net Core support has been low. I'm confident that it will become more of a priority when the demands increase.

That's too bad.  We're one of your old customers who is seriously considering jumping ship especially considering the lack of ongoing support for MCCDAQ and .NET.  None of our new hardware development is taking continued dependencies on your products for this very reason.  The existing .NET MCCDAQ assembly appears to simply be a wrapper around your cbw32.dll (32-bit) and cbw64.dll (64-bit) C drivers.  It's a relatively simple (though tedious) exercise to rebuild the existing wrapper and target netstandard2.0 instead.  If you did that it would be consumable by both .NET Framework and .NET Core customers.