External Trigger Setup on Analog Discover 2 using Waveforms SDK Python

GRe

Question

Hello,

I am using Analog Discovery 2 device with waveforms SDK Python to capture the Digital IO's signals on external trigger (ex: trig1). 
Question is do we need to call FDwfDigitalInTriggerSet(HDWF hdwf,unsigned int fsLevelLow, unsigned int fsLevelHigh,unsigned int fsEdgeRise, unsigned int fsEdgeFall) for external trigger? 
If yes, how to use this function

Kind Regards,
Goutham

1 answer to this question

Hi @GRe,

The function you are looking for is FDwfDigitialInTriggerSourceSet (Section 9.3 in the WaveForms SDK Reference Manual) to use an external trigger as the default setting is to have no trigger source (the options for the trigger sources are within Section 4 on page 6 because the global trigger bus applies to the whole device both analog and digital, or starting on line 45 in dwfconstants.py). You can then set to receive a rising, falling, or either edge through FDwfDigitalInTriggerSlopeSet (variables defined on line 106 of dwfconstants.py).

The FDwfDigitalInTriggerSet function is used when you want your acquisition to trigger on based on one of the existing Digital I/O pins (rather than on a dedicated external trigger pin), setting the appropriate field to 1 and bit shifting to the pin of interest.

There are a couple of examples using this function and similar functions in DigitalIn_PulseTrigger.py and the DigitalIn_Trigger.py examples which are readily accessible within the SDK installation location. (or alternatively, there is a more specific example that uses the external trigger option in AnalogOutIn_Synchronization.py)

image.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin