Auto-connect can not detect Arty A7 board...

cptn

Question

Running Linux... Latest Vivado...  Installed the cable drivers (install_drivers, setup_xilinx_ftdi, install_digilent.sh, setup_pcusb)...  Update rules.d... Added user to the dialout group.

Board is still not getting detected.

Tried as root and no change.

Anyone know the fix?

Edited by cptn
Added details

4 answers to this question

I have Vivado 2022.2 installed on Ubuntu 22.04. I also have Vivado 2022.2 Labs Edition installed here as well.

One thing that I've noticed with the later versions of Vivado is that the Hardware Manager fails to auto-connect to targets and spews out error messages. In the Labs edition I use it for connecting to an ILA on one of the FPGA board. After spitting out error messages it then shows a valid target, that if I right-click on it and open that target works.

lsusb -v is a useful command for making sure that your target is being enumerated by your Linux OS.

Assuming that it lists a device like this:  ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC, try lsusb -d 0403:6010 -v

You should see something like this:

idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
      idProduct          0x6010 FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC
      bcdDevice          7.00
      iManufacturer      1 Digilent
      iProduct           2 Digilent Adept USB Device

Can you describe your user experience better?

NOTE: I've experience a lot of bugs and ill-behavior with recent versions of Vivado on Windows and Linux. One thing that is rather amazing to me is that Vivado pretty much looks the same on both hosts.

I've used Vivado on Centos and Ubuntu, two distros with very different approaches to security, and for both installing FPGA vendor tools in a user owned directory solves a lot of headaches.

Edited by zygot

First off, thanks for the replies...

I'm not sure what else to tell you.

The Digilent board is being seen by the system:

Bus 003 Device 020: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC
blah blah
  idVendor           0x0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
  idProduct          0x6010 FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC
blah blah

The OS is a daily patched Ubuntu 23.04.

I installed Vivado 2023.1 by: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJzjvgTQUk

I installed the cable drivers by: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/install-cable-drivers

I installed Adept2 via: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0UMqmZf6rs

NOTE: I have no idea how to use Adept because I can not find a man page or instructions on it.

When I run autoconnect, all I get is: (see picture)

What else can I tell you?

image.png

Edited by cptn

Does lsusb -d 0403:6010 -v tell you that what you are looking at is a Digilent endpoint?

Vivado Hardware Manager seems to indicate that its found your board. If it's a kernel issue then I wouldn't expect this to happen. I'm not using kernel 6.2.13 so I can't test this. It's been reported that reverting to the previous kernel resolved Vivado driver issues.

I also don't have the latest version of Vivado, and there are a lot of bugs in newer versions that don't get resolved before the next release. i guess that I'm saying that I can't replicate your user experience.

Have you tried right-clicking on the localhost to see what options Vivado will give you? You can also not use auto-connect but go through the process of creating a new connection.

Even with Vivado 2020.2 on Windows Vivado Hardware Manager gets confused if you connect a number of different boards because you are doing projects for two targets at the same time. 

I can;t say that you are on your own, but you are definitely on the bleeding-edge with your setup.

From my notes: I did this to install the cable driver:          
    $ cd user/opt/Xilinx/Vivado/2022.2/data/xicom/cable_drivers/lin64/install_script/install_drivers
    $ sudo ./install_drivers
    $ sudo adduser $user dialout   

where I've replaced my username with user.            

BTW, you don't need to install Adept in order to use a Digilent board with Vivado Hardware Manager. I installed Vivado and got it to work with a few of my Digilent FPGA boards before installing Adept on Ubuntu 22.04.

A while ago Vivado Hardware Manager let you debug your JTAG connectivity but that tool, unfortunately, has been depreciated.

Edited by zygot