Waveforms Crashes when trying to use Custom Wavegen on Eclypse

JimR2

Question

I have an Eclypse with a Zmod config as seen in the pic#1, ZMODA=AWG, and ZMODB = Digitizer

What I've found is that when trying to create a custom wavegen waveform, say a 2-tone stimulus by using a sine Func, and then altering it with a 2 cycle sine Func, right after you hit Generate (for 2 cycle sine) and then OK, which should then combine the 2 sine waves, Waveforms crashes.

So basically I get to the point shown in Pic#2, and after I hit OK, Waveforms shuts down unexpectedly. After crash, I sometimes have to power off/on the eclypse to get waveforms to connect to it again after a crash.

I've done the exact same operation on my adp5250, and it works. I have not confirmed on any other device combination but can try if you need me to (have AD2, AD3 and ADP3450 I can try).

I'm still using version 3.10.10 of Waveforms, from the last bug I submitted, please let me know if there is a new download that should fix this, or if you want me to do any other checking.

Regards, JimR2

image.png.0910c93e439e91289870f5bda6643e8d.png

image.thumb.png.7879f2443515a3926d08a7e6ee4142c7.png

image.png.26dae22545be14fc563423daffad0d5f.png

9 answers to this question

Hi @JimR2

The Alter is not working with 65536 samples.
Until this problem is solved please set Samples to a lower value then go to Alter, or use Math tab or any other function even with 65536 samples.
Thank you for the observation.

image.png

Edit: If is fixed for the next software version.

This worked, thanks Attila,

I guess the message showing the "buffer size is 65536 samples" despite setting to 32768, is just a warning tht you are not using the entire hardware buffer?

I'm really surprised I never saw this before? Has this always been a limitation with Waveforms?

Thanks, JimR2

image.png.2c2c97094eadda010da044ed6c8a6103.png 

Hi @JimR2

The Math (and other tabs) should work with 65536 samples, only the Alter is not working with such number of samples.
Anyway, higher number of samples only matters when generating low frequency signals, kHz or lower.

After implementing DDR RAM buffering for Scope and Logic Analyzer the earlier used FPGA BRAM for these was reallocated to the AWGs, so the buffer size has increased. The Alter uses some integer operation to handle eventual interpolation (if the destination and alter sizes differ) and this with 64k indices caused overflow on 32bit integer.

I have to re-re-test some new features and other fixes. Hope to have a beta release on Monday.

The 64k refers to the (maximum) AWG carrier device buffer size, or AM/FM/PM buffer size depending from where was the editor opened.

On Analog Discovery 1, 2 the signal is stretched to fill the buffer, but on newer devices AD3, ADP3X50, EclypseZ7... it can handle different number of samples. This is also used to synthetize more precise frequencies.

Attila,

I finally got a chance to download and try the above beta version 3.20.27 (2023-08-18), and looks like the crashes are fixed when trying to alter 65536 sample waveforms on my ADP3450. I'll verify on my Eclypse Z7 also, but so far looks good! Thanks.

JimR2