Analog Discovery 2: Flickering/Instability of Waveform Generator or Oscillator

XCR

Question

Hi, 

I have recently purchased an Analog Discovery 2 and noticed a sort of flickering or instability. I have connected the wavegen 1 output with the oscillator 1 input and wavegen 2 with oscillator 2 by simply connecting them with copper wire and generating a sine wave by the wavegen outputs. The oscilloscope displayed the signal correctly, however sometimes one of the oscillator channels showed a sine curve, which seems to change the sign many times per second, giving a flickering signal. This happened especially when the frequencies of the wavegen 1 and 2 were not the same. Similarly, I have also seen the oscillator displaying a curve moving slowly from right to left over the screen. 

Since I have previously used another Analog Discovery 2, which did not show these problems, I wanted to ask whether this behaviour is an indication of a faulty waveform generator or oscillator or simply a matter of having chosen the wrong setting.

Thank you very much in advance!

2 answers to this question

Hi @XCR

With AD2, as you can see in the preview, the actually generated frequencies are not exact.
The AD3, ADP3X50... can generate more precise frequencies.

Use the Synchronized mode for phased signals to be started at the same time, otherwise the channels can operate independently.
Finite Run time, restarting the channels periodically, Auto will set the longest periods or specify the least common multiple of periods.

image.png

image.png