SDK + examples for AD3

norandomtechie

Question

Hello,

The Digilent SDK proved extremely useful for writing custom applications that make use of the AD2.  Will there be an update to the SDK for the AD3, as well as examples on how to use it for C++/Python?  There currently doesn't seem to be any references to the AD3 in the dwf header file installed by WaveForms 3.20 on Linux.

Edited by norandomtechie
Title typo

4 answers to this question

Hi @norandomtechie

The AD3 is mostly backwards compatible with AD2. Most of the examples should work on all devices.
Difference is in the available buffer sizes, device configurations, system monitoring.
See the SDK manual pdf in the installation, next to the examples.

The devidDiscovery3 was added to dwf.h in newer versions, see:

Hey @attila,

Thank you!  I didn't think to check the beta versions.  The stable release didn't have devidDiscovery3 in dwf.h, so I just assumed it wasn't added.

I installed the latest beta (3.20.24) and cloned the Cpp examples folder to give it a try.  However when I try to compile a test with:

g++ test_device_info.cpp -o ad3 -I /usr/include/digilent/waveforms -ldwf

I get:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/12/../../../../lib/libdwf.so: undefined reference to `DmgtConfigureFPGA'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/12/../../../../lib/libdwf.so: undefined reference to `DstmIO32'

This is on Ubuntu 22.04 with gcc 12.2.0, and is also the case with any other beta versions I try, as well as the custom program I had written for the AD2. 

Edited by norandomtechie
mentioning custom program