Understandinging product capabilities (application to magnetic resonance)

jmf

Question

I am looking for a device to use as a transceiver for magnetic resonance applications – previously others have used the LimeSDR for this type of work, but we’re looking for something with a longer lifetime of support where the rollout of future models is planned.

Tentatively, I would like to start with Analog Discovery 3, with plans to upgrade to the FPGA, but I want input from an application engineer to see if these will meet our needs.

Transmit capabilities

Basic

We want to be able to generate a 1-15 MHz waveform. This waveform consists of active “pulses” of rf output separated by μs-ms timescale delays. We need – at the least – to be able to specify the exact rf freqeuncy, turn the rf output on and of, and change the phase of each rf segment in 90 degree increments (assume that when on, the rf waveform is sinusoidal).

Advanced

Ideally, we would like to divide our rf pulses into μs-size segments, specifying the amplitude, phase, and frequency of the sinusoidal wave during each segment (with relatively continuous variation for each property.)

Receiver (digitizer) capabilities

Oversampling

We want to digitize at a frequency of at lease 25 Ms/s, and then (digital demodulation at an arbitrary frequency and FIR filters) downsample to 1-3.5 ks/s

Interleaved acquisition

We want to be able to transmit for short periods of time (μs-ms) interleaved with periods of acquisition, with relatively low (μs) delay between the two.

Phase reset

It’s essential that we can synchronize/reset the phase of our receiver and transmitter clocks at the start of each transmit/receive sequence. We need to know that phase of the signal relative to the transmitter waveform, so that we can average subsequent acquisitions phase-coherently.

Programmability

A good API is pretty essential for our purposes – for any serious application, we would wrap the API into a custom python extension. Ability to run on either Linux or Windows is desired.

4 answers to this question

Hi @jmf

You can explore the software and device features with WaveForms application in Demo mode.
I don't think all the features you are looking for are available, like frequency and phase modulation can be used exclusively.

The highest flexibility would give the EclypseZ7 with Zmods. With this you can work in embedded Linux, standalone app or customize the FPGA configuration.
https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/eclypse-z7/start

Hi @jmf

You are in the right place, I'm the WaveForms developer.

1. The Analog Discovery 3 provides a set of features and lets you control the device with ~ms latency, depending on number of transfers, capture time, processing... around 100-500Hz rate.

The AWG hardware/FPGA provides FM or PhaseM and AM or Summing, it also lets you specify trigger-wait-run-repeat for burst signals, at system frequency precision 8-20ns, which is adjustable between 50-125MHz.

The FIR channels on the Scope inputs have only 16 taps and the newer sw version lets you adjust cutoff frequencies. Demodulation is not yet available.

I don't know if these features are sufficient for you.

2. The ADP3X50 and EcypseZ7 provides embedded Linux, with lower software latency, depending on processing, order of ~100us.

3. The EclypseZ7 also lets you customize or create custom FPGA logic, this would mean 'real-time', ns level or latency or hardware accelerated software control.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 7/24/2023 at 12:27 PM, jmf said:

I am looking for a device to use as a transceiver for magnetic resonance applications – previously others have used the LimeSDR for this type of work, but we’re looking for something with a longer lifetime of support where the rollout of future models is planned.

Atilla is the guy to be talking to at Digilent.

I've got no specific advice other than a SDR using one of the Lime asics with tx frequency mask control is likely to be more the direction that your want to be looking. I'd think that is something that you'd want to add to your list of specifications. If you think not, then please ignore this post.

The last version of Waveforms that I tried with the Eclypse-Z7 was pretty limited in functionality, it's a constantly moving target.