Unable to run legacy project after moving to new PC

bshot

Question

My company has a legacy monitoring application that was written in VB6 which, among other things, communicates with four Measurement Computing boards. The hard drive of the machine it was running on failed, and I am attempting to get the program to run on a new machine running 64-bit Windows 7.

I had a disk which I used to install InstaCal 6.01; I also tried to use the latest version installed via mccdaq.exe acquired from the software downloads page on the Measurement Computing site. I do now know what the version on the original machine was as the drive is dead and cannot be accessed. InstaCal recognizes the boards when I open it, and I can flash the LEDs.

I receive the following errors when opening the legacy program:

Runtime Error 8002: invalid port number (when run as normal user)

Invalid digital port number (when run as administrator)

The code was not changed, and I'm trying to run the same version that was on the old machine.

I've ensured that all windows updates are completed. I don't know what else to check for or to try, or what I may have overlooked on install and configuration; any advice would be appreciated. This program is an important part of monitoring and controlling equipment located at an unmanned site; it is vital that it get up and running again as soon as possible.

7 answers to this question

Thank you.

I'm betting it's a board number issue. Let's say the USB-1096HFS was previously at board number zero, but now it's 1 or 2. The software believes it's zero, so it tries to access a high port number unavailable on the other two devices.  Right-click the board and choose a change board number. Experiment with the seven combinations. If you have access to the code file, you could look at the code and know the order.

I do have access to the source code, and it's using 1, 2, 3, and 4. Unfortunately, it only explicitly references the ERB board in the constant name. The others are just inboard1 and 2 and outboard. I believed I had it set correctly. I've tried different combinations of those, but so far every one has yielded the same error message. Is there a possibility that something else is going on? I cannot currently add in breakpoints to see which individual board number is right/wrong.

I came across an old knowledge base article that stated only one cb.cfg file can be on the system. I have one in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\ProgramData\Measurement Computing\DAQ and one in C:\ProgramData\Measurement Computing\DAQ (which doesn't show up when I navigate to C:\ drive in file explorer but goes there when I select go to file location). Which is the correct place? If I delete the one in the users folder, it reappears after reopening and changing board numbers in instacal.

Search your hard drive, starting at the root C:\ for the following:

cb.cfg

cbw32.dll

cbw64.dll

There should be only one copy of each in the following locations.

C:\ProgramData\Measurement Computing\DAQ\cb.cfg

C:\Program Files (x86)\Measurement Computing\DAQ\cbw32.dll

C:\Program Files (x86)\Measurement Computing\DAQ\cbw64.dll

Delete any rogue file found elsewhere. If there were rogue files elsewhere, could you return to InstaCal and rearrange the board numbers again?