Analog signal mismatch between Instacal and DasyLAB using the MCC-DRV analog input module

excellent-apple

Question

I am using a USB-TC, USB-2416, and the AI-EXP32 to measure 40 thermocouple signals. 

Instacal is able to read channels using the "Test" -> "Analog Input" functionality. However, when I use the MCC-DRV analog input module I get that 2/15 (CH 0 and 1) channels provide a good signal and the others are either 0 or 9999 (+ or -).

This issue does not occur with the USB-TC and only on the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32 module. 

3 answers to this question

Hello @excellent-apple.

Please confirm that InstaCal is closed when you launch DASYLab and vice-versa. 

What versions of Windows, InstaCal, and DASYLab are you using?

Are the analog input channels for the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32 configured for thermocouples, in InstaCal?  Please include a screen capture with your reply.

Do you have thermocouples connected to all of the analog input channels on the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32?  Enabled analog input channels should not be left open.

Error temperature values:
-9999 is returned when a value is out of range or an open connection is detected.
-9000 is returned when the device is not ready. This usually occurs right after the device is powered up and calibration factors are being loaded.

What is the performance history of the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32?  If both devices are not new, is this the first time using them?

Please reply with screen captures of your DASYLab worksheet with the wrong values, as well as the configuration window of the MCC Analog Input module.

Regards,

Fausto

43 minutes ago, Fausto said:

Hello @excellent-apple.

Please confirm that InstaCal is closed when you launch DASYLab and vice-versa. 

What versions of Windows, InstaCal, and DASYLab are you using?

Are the analog input channels for the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32 configured for thermocouples, in InstaCal?  Please include a screen capture with your reply.

Do you have thermocouples connected to all of the analog input channels on the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32?  Enabled analog input channels should not be left open.

Error temperature values:
-9999 is returned when a value is out of range or an open connection is detected.
-9000 is returned when the device is not ready. This usually occurs right after the device is powered up and calibration factors are being loaded.

What is the performance history of the USB-2416 and AI-EXP32?  If both devices are not new, is this the first time using them?

Please reply with screen captures of your DASYLab worksheet with the wrong values, as well as the configuration window of the MCC Analog Input module.

Regards,

Fausto

One thing I have noticed that sometimes the USB-2416 channels will switch to single ended voltage mode or they will change from a type K to type J configuration without me changing anything. I keep InstaCAL open while I am using DASYLab. All the thermocouples are connected, however some were left open (unplugged to female connectors) for troubleshooting. 

The 2416 is older and we have used it reliably in the past. The AI-EXP32 is new and purchased for this experiment. 

Windows 10

DasyLAB 2020

InstaCAL 

2.PNG

1.PNG

0.PNG

Edited by excellent-apple

@excellent-apple,

Thank you for your response and screen captures.  Which version of InstaCal are you using?  Configure the thermocouple type of each channel in InstaCal and then close InstaCal before launching DASYLab.  The USB-2416 should not switch to single-ended mode without user intervention.  If it does, then the USB-2416 may have a hardware issue.

Create another simple worksheet in DASYLab with only the USB-2416 and all 16 thermcouple inputs.  Any issues when you run that worksheet?

Again, selected channels should not be left open when acquiring data.

Lastly, you mentioned female connectors.  Are you creating another junction in the signal wire?  What is the component material used for those connectors?  Can you send an image of your thermocouple connections?