Various issues with Waveforms 3.20.1 on Ubuntu 20.04

Anthocyanina

Question

I don't know if these issues are specific to the linux version of Waveforms, but i'm mentioning the OS and Waveforms version in which these issues occur, in case that's needed for replication.

The issues are:

1. Curve tracer auto scale shows a useless curve for a schottky diode(not sure if the behaviour of other devices would result in the same problem, a zener diode is properly traced in auto scale mode), the status of the auto scale is also not immediately obvious, as the indicator is just a slight change in the color of the auto button.

This curve is useless in the -5v to 5v voltage range(only when set to auto) and behaves counterintuitively when selecting a narrower range(the curve is flipped, and auto selects the display range backwards, from positive voltage on the left, to negative voltage on the right side of the window) as shown in this screenshot

Screenshotfrom2023-07-1207-26-16.thumb.png.99732991e2640d18002ea98db74242b2.png

2. The order in which you open instruments breaks the size of the main waveforms window when maximised. In this particular case, if you open the scope, then wavegen, then tracer, the waveforms window will go beyond the display, whether you have multiple monitors or just one connected to the computer. what "fixes" this is running the curve tracer, and then the window will go back to normal maximised size.

3. This one is more a moderately disruptive behaviour than a problem. At least in this particular workspace configuration, with scope, wavegen and curve tracer open, when you bring up the second channel vertical scale, or the toolbar for the scope, the horizontal size of the XY and time domain scope windows, as well as the curve tracer window will be permanently changed, and you'll have to manually resize it again. Ideally, the windows would return to their previously set size when hiding channel scale and toolbar again.

I haven't tried the new beta versions, but seeing as there is no mention in the change log about general fixes, i presume this remains the same in those versions.

Thank you!

Edit: I'd also like to point out that i don't know if this behaviour was present in previous versions as i didn't use a workspace with that layout before.

Edited by Anthocyanina
clarifying why i mentioned version and OS

6 answers to this question

I've now tried to measure a schottky diode with the latest beta, and i get the same behaviour, useless auto curve, window going beyond the monitor if you open the instruments in the previously mentioned order, and the instrument windows permanently resizing themselves after a panel was brought up temporarily.

31 minutes ago, attila said:

Hi @Anthocyanina

Could you send me or attach a workspace or project with a Tracer trace that does not auto-scale properly ?

Hi @attila here it is. I made a video too, showing how it auto scales on the schottky diode(of note is how it auto selects -5v to be on the right of the display) and with the tracer running, i swap the schottky for a zener and it is able to auto scale properly. As you can see, this is from a fresh start of Waveforms, and after the video, i saved the workspace as it was, and uploaded it here as well. Thank you!

default tracer.dwf3work

Edited by Anthocyanina
put the video on youtube instead so it doesn't have to be downloaded to watch

Hi @Anthocyanina

Hope in this latest version the auto scaling works better. The Tracer is now by default stacked with Scope, Logic...

The automatic options cannot be perfect and neither can the default positions, there are many tools, views... and combinations/use case with these. 
You can save workspaces with preferred settings and positions, use 'without acquisition' option for faster save/load.

Thanks! auto scale in tracer indeed works much better now, but tracer is still not stacked with scope, and it seems to be the only non-stacked instrument(all instruments are open in this screenshot), and now the window going beyond the monitor isn't fixed by running the tracer

image.thumb.png.7485b7114f3cd6a7779cd2fdcec9d565.png

image.thumb.png.70679f6df0e381b00cdbdf7844e0b707.png