Discovery ADP3000 Series Ethernet Streaming

TrentSteel

Question

I've previously used other USB oscilloscopes, but I'm interested in the Pro3000 series due to the ethernet connection (as well as some of the embedded scripting functionality!).

My application requires captures timed from an external trigger running up to 100kHz (so 100k captures a second). Each capture is of the order of 50-100 datapoints and ideally at a sampling rate of 100MS/s (14bit), although 50MS/s might be acceptable. I'd then like this data to be streamed to a PC over Ethernet.

So some quick maths means we'd need to be transferring around 5-10MS/s over the Ethernet (divided between 100k captures).

From what I can see from the documentation we would be able to capture for short bursts at this rate in 'record' mode until we filled the internal memory of the device and then download this, but our preference would be to be able to stream this to a PC continuously so we can capture over extended periods of time (hours). I've looked through the documentation and it’s not clear to me if there are any bottlenecks preventing this. The attached transfer rates table from the documentation would imply to me it's possible, but the waveforms per second table implies it's not.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, I’d like to get an idea if this is even vaguely possible before embarking on getting the kit and trying to implement it.

Transfer Rates.jpg

Waveforms per second.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi @TrentSteel

Such device buffered multi-capture mode is unfortunately not supported.

The device can store only one capture at a time, up to 125MHz and 128Mi samples, with about 500-2000Hz capture rate (fetch to host and rearm), or continuously stream/record at 10-35MHz (for one channel).

13 hours ago, TrentSteel said:

Hi Attila,

Thanks, that's really helpful, I was misunderstanding how the device works. Just out of interest do you happen to know if there are any similar Digilent products which do support multi-capture?

May be you can try Eclypse Z7+Zmod Digitizer 1430-125.

Hi @TrentSteel

Such option is on the whishlist but I don't know when I'll have time to implement it.

Yes, it could be implemented on EclypseZ7 development board. To obtain such capture rates, beside embedded sw development, probably it also needs some HDL knowledge, to modify one of the existing example projects.