Can't select Basys3 board in Vivado 2023.1

Trevorskie

Question

11 answers to this question

Hi @Trevorskie,

You will need install the board file for the Basys 3; you can do that by either clicking the download icona couple of columns to the right to get the board file from the Xilinx board store or you can install them manually on your machine as per our guide here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/installing-vivado-and-vitis#install_digilent_s_board_files. The board file provides information that Xilinx needs such as the specific FPGA part as well as any grouped presets that the vendor (Digilent in this case) has provided for Block Design flows.

image.png

You may also want the .xdc file for the Basys 3 (as that is not included with board files or with the Xilinx board store due to limitations on what file material is allowed to be included by Xilinx); you can get this directly from our Github here: https://github.com/Digilent/digilent-xdc.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

I'm having similar problems, but only on Ubuntu 22.04

No version of Vivado on Ubuntu 22.04 will see my Digilent card.  The Linux system is seeing the card: from "lsusb" I get

Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0403:6010 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT2232C/D/H Dual UART/FIFO IC

and from "djtgcfg enum" I get

Found 1 device(s)

Device: Basys3
    Device Transport Type: 00020001 (USB)
    Product Name:          Digilent Basys3
    User Name:             Basys3
    Serial Number:         210183714313

but Vivado hardware manager doesn't see it.  Weirdly, if I rsync the, for example, Vivado ML 2023 install onto an old Scientific Linux 7 box, then that version of Vivado that didn't see the card will see it when it's plugged in to the SL7 box.

Is it possible that I'm missing a package or packages on the Ubuntu 22.04 install that make things work on the SL7 install?

On 9/8/2023 at 5:52 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Michael Gordon,

I'm not a Linux expert, but this looks very similar to the upstream Linux bug that got reported here:

Let me know if this is not the case for you so we can debug further.

Thanks,
JColvin

This doesn't appear to be the case.  Ununtu 22.04 is running kernel 5.15.0-76-generic, although they may have back-ported various things from newer versions.  dadutil runs and sees the board

w8557> dadutil enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: Basys3
    Device Transport Type: 00020001 (Transport Type = USB, Protocol = 2)
    Product Name:          Digilent Basys3
    User Name:             Basys3
    Serial Number:         210183714313
w8557> dadutil -d Basys3 showinfo
Product Name:           Digilent Basys3
User Name:              Basys3
Serial Number:          210183714313
Product ID:             01700151
Firmware Version:       010A
Device Transport Type:  00020001 (Transport Type = USB, Protocol = 2)
Device Capabilities:    00000001
    DJTG - JTAG scan chain access

Hi @Michael Gordon,

I'm guessing you already installed the cable drivers on your system (https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/installing-vivado-and-vitis#install_cable_drivers_linux_only) and your output is accurate, so I'm not certain what why Vivado would not be seeing the Basys 3 in Ubuntu 22.04 at the moment.

I'll keep doing some research to see if I can come up with something.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 9/12/2023 at 8:55 AM, Michael Gordon said:

This doesn't appear to be the case.  Ununtu 22.04 is running kernel 5.15.0-76-generic

I've been using Vivado 2022.2 on an i7-13700K box, Ubuntu 22.04.3, Kernel 6.2.0-26-generic with a number of AMD/XIlinx FPGA boards.

Don't forget to give yourself dialout privileges: sudo adduser $username dialout.

I don't use the Vivado board files to target devices for a number of reasons.

Recent versions of Vivado have been exhibiting odd behaviors on both Windows and Linux hosts for me.

When you say that Vivado 2023 can't connect to your board, what exactly, is the behavior? Have you tried the "Open a New Target" option?

It's unfortunate that Vivado has depreciated the JTAG debug option that was available in older versions.

[edit] Always read the release notes when installing Vivado or Vitis as there are usually some references to dependencies for Linux hosts. It's unfortunate, but there is no standard Linux distribution on hosts due to the lack of standards in creating distributions, desktop GUI options, etc. Still, now that Microsoft no longer is in the OS business ( I don't consider Win11 to be a real OS ), there are no real alternatives.

I'm too embarrassed to mention how much time it took to make Ubuntu with MATE desktop usable with my HD monitor...

All in all it's pretty amazing how close the VIvado user experience is on both Windows and Linux hosts.

Edited by zygot

I run Vivado ML and click on "Open Hardware Manager" on the opening screen.  After a little while the popup  with the bar going back and forth disappears and I'm left with two bars at the top of the screen, one reading "HARDWARE MANAGER - unconnected" and the other reading "No hardware target is open.  Open target".  Clicking on "Open target" and selecting "Open New Target ..." from the menu that appears takes me to the Open Hardware Target wizard.  "Next" takes me to the screen where I accept the default "Connect to: Local server" and click on "Next" again.  After a few seconds I get the response seen in the first image.  On a Scientific Linux 7 box I do the same and get the response seen in the second image.

I may well be missing some important package - that would be a reasonable explanation of why it works on the SL7 box but not the Ubuntu 22.04 box - but I've no idea what that package may be.  The installer doesn't complain about any missing packages and I can't find anything that seems relevant in the install notes.  I have both libusb-0.1-4 and libusb-1.0-0 installed so both versions of the libusb API are available for example.

vivado-no-target.png.607244aa42f8c8d6e3b62fd86ac1115c.pngxilinx-sk7-hw.png.96eb2a4ea9c46d05fe6c8117b81ee5b8.png

Unfortunately, Vivado/Vitis installers do not attempt to check for installed dependencies. You discover missing dependencies by having installed applications misbehave. I wish that I could tell you that this isn't a common theme with random Linux distributions using any particular desktop, an a random state trying to install new applications. Again, I'm afraid that the question is: "do you want to be at the mercy of a not-very-benevolent overlord who has complete control over an OS ( or whatever Win11 is ) or loosely constrained group of open-sourced maintainers. For an OS like Win10 that is up to date installers don't need to know what's been installed previously; dependency isn't a huge issue, other than 3rd party drivers. This just isn't the case for any particular Linux OS system.

I don't have Vivado 2023.x so I can't recreate your experience. It certainly seems like a bug, or change, in Vivado 2023.

All I can do is confirm that Vivado 2022.2 works on my Ubuntu 22.04 box.

You could try installing Vivado/Vitis 2022.2 and try to resolve kernel related issues if any.

If you don't need to do debugging in Vivado Hardware Manager using ILA or VIO components then configuration using the Adept Utilities might be an option.

One option is to create a user account with AMD/Xilinx and pose your issues to them. Good luck with that.

I'm sad that I don't have better advice to offer.

Edited by zygot

I haven't tried 2022.2, but I'd prefer to use the latest version if I can get it to work.  The lab that we're trying to build a replacement for currently uses Vivado 2015.2 on Scientific Linux 7, and if we're going to persuade our academics to rewrite their entire lab notes then we really need to move to the latest version that can be used for several years.

In some sort of progress, I've found an Ubuntu 20.04 box to test Vivado on and both 2015.2 and 2023 see the hardware.  I don't think it's the kernel as both the 20.04 and 22.04 boxes are running 5.15.0-76-generic, but nothing obvious leaps out at me when I diff the package lists from both Ubuntu machines.

1 hour ago, Michael Gordon said:

we really need to move to the latest version that can be used for several years

You might want to re-think that premise. You need to use a newer of the AMD/Xilinx tools if you want to use a particular device that isn't supported by earlier versions. In general newer versions of tools require modification to project sources developed on earlier versions. It might be IP that's changed, IP that's been depreciated, a change in constraint syntax, etc. It depends on what devices you use. Personally, I find that I need those older host boxes, with older OS versions, and older tool versions to keep what little sanity I have left. I have never detected any advantage that a newer tool provides for projects targetting older devices on older FPGA platforms, in terms of timing closure, better performance, more efficient use of resources etc.

My new box has an i7-13700K with those performance and efficiency cores architecture. I'm not sure that my kernel even supports that architecture all that well. I doubt that this is the issue.

If you can't figure out what the problem is by looking at the OS or kernel version, then what's left is the CPU/Motherboard/Chipset/BIOS. If there was PCIe involved, then I could see BIOS setting tweaks that need to be performed. For USB related functionality, I don't know of any reason why this would matter. Still, you are having issues that I don't seem to have.