A suggestion for Waveforms

PhilipJ

Question

Hi,

can I suggest a feature for Waveforms?

When capturing channels in a Logic workspace, something to scroll the main waveform drawing(s) left or right to the next (or previous) rising (or falling) edge.

This would be useful whenI have captured a long buffer of intermittent communications (say SPI), I've zoomed in to see what a particular packet of data is and now I want to scroll to the next packet. At the moment I have to zoom out, re-focus on the next packet and then zoom in again.

I used to use this feature in, I think it was sigview, where they have 2 little icons at each end of a drawn waveform, clicking on the one at the left edge would scroll the view so as to centre on the previous edge found (that is currently off screen) and the one on the right would do similar for the next edge found.

It would be really helpful when you have captured data that is little bursts with long "silences".

Anyway, that's all, hope you don't mind me suggesting...

regards

PhilipJ

4 answers to this question

I've had a play and that's great, just what I was hoping for. I assume that when it refers to an "event" that is a rising or falling edge ?

Having shown me that menu you've prompted a whole host of other questions:

What is the thinking behind "labels" ? I tried adding one thinking it might "attach" to an event and therefore scroll with the waveform but it just seem to stay where I had put it on the screen and the waveform moved left or right behind it.

Also, what does "Set First" and "Set Last" do ? I tried clickin g them but couldn't work out what it was doing...

Thanks for your time, it's all great stuff

PhilipJ

Hi @PhilipJ

Yes, the event represents the edge of the signal and the change in the value of the interpreter.

Labels are pushpins on the 'screen', not associated with time. Use X cursor for fixed time.

Set first/last sets the position to be the left/rightmost.