AD2 capabilities

Tuvia

Question

I am new to Digilent and its modules so my inquiry may seem a little academic for all the seasoned pros out there.  So I am counting on answers that will be on a beginners level, for which I thank you very much.

I have the AD2, the Scope module, and an impedance measuring module.  Can the Scop0e module and the Audio module be connected to the AD2 at the same time so one could scope the output of a power amp vs input?

If that works, should I assume that one could concatenate a variety of these modules with blowing the system up?

I could not find these answers on the forum nor could I find a useable phone number to which i could ask one in person so please don't be angry with my simple questions.

Thank you so much for your help.

Tuvia

1 answer to this question

Hi @Tuvia,

Welcome to the Forums! I've moved your question to a more appropriate section of the Forum.

I'm not fully certain I understand your setup. I'm guessing by impedance measuring module you are referring to the Impedance Analyzer adapter, https://digilent.com/reference/add-ons/impedance-analyzer/start, and by Audio module you mean the Audio Adapter, https://digilent.com/reference/add-ons/audio-adapter/start, but I do not know what you mean by Scope module (unless you are talking about using the BNC Adapter to use BNC probes instead of using the MTE cables that come with the Analog Discovery 2 to connect to your system under test directly)?

If you are using the Digilent made adapters, you will not be able to concatenate them together as each module has the analog wired to measure the appropriate signal associated with that module and not routed anywhere else.

If you are instead asking about using the pair of analog inputs on the Analog Discovery 2 (orange and blue wires) to have one wire measure the output voltage and the other wire measure the input voltage on some external system, as long as the expected voltage is within 25 V of ground (as the maximum voltage range supported by the Analog Discovery 2 inputs is -25 V to +25 V), and there is a ground connection between the Analog Discovery 2 and the external system, this should not be a problem. Naturally, a single input channel should only be connected to a single source to prevent voltage conflicts from multiple external systems.

You didn't explicitly ask it, but in the interest of clarity, the Discovery product line can use its Oscilloscope, Wavegen, Logic Analyzer, and Pattern Generator simultaneously at their full sample rates without losing data.

Let me know if you have any questions or if I am misunderstanding your setup.

Thanks,
JColvin