AD2 suddenly fails

xdcxx

Question

Hello, we bought a AD2 a few weeks back, till a few hours ago it was working fine.

Now we get this error:

PLL not locked.

Unknown Scope chip id 255

Scope speed grade 0

FPGA-PLL not locked.

USB: 4.92V 3mA AUX: 5.26V 81mA

Device:AD2 rev:3 cfg:1 WF:3.19.5

The error happened after the device was disconnected and reconnected to the same PC, same USB hub on the same USB port. 

When trying to connect the LED Blinks, but process terminates with the mentioned error. 

We tried different cables, different ports and also the device fix tool. The device fix works and just outputs "Done" at the end. when connecting the same error persists though. 

As reading here before i assume the only thing to do is to send it back to the supplier?

Best regards

3 answers to this question

Hi @xdcxx

You are supplying the device with 5V, which should be more reliable than USB cabling, if the power supply is good.
Could you try supplying the device only from USB (remove 5VDC) and/or setting the "USB Power" to "Always ON", so the USB powering remains enabled even with 5VDC ?

If the problem persists the device probably got damaged by high (USB) voltage, like unregulated or faulty HUB supply.

image.png

Thank you for your reply.

PLL not locked.

Unknown Scope chip id 255

Scope speed grade 0

FPGA-PLL not locked.

USB: 4.96V 78mA AUX: 0.00V 0mA

Device:AD2 rev:3 cfg:1 WF:3.19.5

The USB hub used is a passive USB hub directly attached to the main USB port of a HP Pavillion laptop.

All devices connected to the USB hub are passive devices and dont have external connections.

The AUX supply is a FSP SPARKLE POWER switching power supply with 5V DC 3A out that was bought a few months back.

Voltage spikes are pretty normal when plugging or unplugging USB devices as much as i know.

So that means the USB input protection of the AD2 must have been faulty?

As we didnt buy this device directly from digilent i assume we need to apply for warranty via the seller?

Kind regards

Edited by xdcxx

Hi @xdcxx

The abs max for USB controllers and related ICs is usually 5.5V and the shield is a different topic.
I don't know exactly what could be wrong with this device.
For warranty and replacement contact the support.digilent @ ni.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.