DataTranslation DT3010/3034 Page Fault when running DAC Waveform

Nathan Durnan

Question

I am getting a "Page fault in non-paged area" blue-screen crash referencing the DT3010k.sys driver component whenever I run a buffered DAC waveform for an extended period of time. Depending on the frequency, it can happen after a very short time.

To eliminate my software potentially contributing to the issue, I went back and ran just the QuickDataAcq app that comes  installed with the Data Translation Open Layers 7.8.2 installer. I just loaded it up, went to the Wave Generator window, selected my board, and started the waveform with the default parameters. After anywhere from 10 minutes to as short as 30 seconds the computer will blue-screen.

I have tried this on different machines with either a DT3010 or DT3034 installed. It is not tied to a specific machine or board. It happens on all my machines with either board. All the machines are running Windows10 64-bit, but are isolated test machines with no internet access, so are not up to date on Windows updates and have varying builds/patches of Win10 depending on when they were put into service.

Any clue where to look to try to resolve this issue?

3 answers to this question

Hello @Nathan Durnan.

The DT3010 and DT3034 PCI boards may be incompatible with your system and/or its configuration.  In the system BIOS, try changing the BIOS Mode to Legacy, if set to UEFI.  Also, if Secure Boot State is enabled, try disabling that mode.

If it's not possible to change your current system, can you test the board with another system and these BIOS changes?

Regards,

Fausto

Thank you @Fausto. My BIOS on these systems were already set to Legacy, UEFI is OFF, and Secure Boot is disabled. This happens on multiple machines. We have standardized our lab on specific computer builds, so I don't have a lot of variation of hardware to test with. Although we do have a few different generations of hardware due to the vendor discontinuing our original motherboard hardware. Testing on some other more recently purchased machines, the issue does not appear to be present on the newer models. This is a little surprising since I would expect newer hardware to be less compatible with older DT boards, not better. The other possible contributing factors may be newer BIOS in the more recent machines, or newer Windows10 Updates applied in the newer machines. None of the older machines that exhibit the failure behavior have had any Windows Updates applied since they were put into service (over 5 years on some) since they are all behind a stand-alone test network VLAN with no internet access.

For reference, the systems I am having issues with are using Intel i3-4330 (LGA1150) based systems. The ones that are working normally are i3-6100/8100/9100 (LGA1151) based systems.

Is there any chance that the older systems are crashing because of missing Windows Updates? This seems unlikely since the DT QuickDataAcq app would've been written well before any recent updates, but maybe a more recent update could've fixed a legacy compatibility thing? Or is it more likely a hardware/BIOS layer thing?

Hello @Nathan Durnan.

I would have expected the DT PCI boards to be compatible with the older motherboards, rather than the newer designs, but the motherboard design can be a factor as well.  I do not believe it's an issue with Windows updates, if the configuration worked when it was originally setup.  You may want to run a Windows update on one of those systems to determine if it will resolve your issue.  Obviously, if you have a known good configuration between the DT PCI boards and a Windows system, then you will want to replicate that configuration.

Regards,

Fausto