Microchip Dv102412 Wifi G Demo Module

Rick

Question

I am considering purchasing a Microchip DV102412 Wifi G demo board.  It will be a standalone webserver so that it won't burden my Max32 being utilized as a aquarium controller.  The DV102412 has a PIC32 onboard and runs under MPLAB X IDE.  Can this also be programmed with MPIDE ?. I have started programming my Max32 with MPIDE and was hoping to not add another wrinkle to the mix.   If not will I have trouble running the two PIC32's with different IDE's ?  This is all very new to me and I am learning as I go.  I have been involved with various operating systems since the early 70's and I am not shy of trying something new.  Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you, Rick

4 answers to this question

Hi Rick,

After looking at the Microchip DV102412, I believe you would be able to program it in MPIDE, by selecting the chipKIT WF32 as your board because it has the same chip (PIC32MX695F512) as the DV102412. 

However, the DV102412 does not have a USB port to plug into. If you have an FTDI chip, such as the FTDI232RQ available on Digilent's PmodUSBUART, you could then potentially program from MPIDE to the appropriate expansion pins (RX and TX) that you can find on the module (according to it's user guide anyway).

The tricky bit and what will take some effort is checking to make sure that those UART pins on the expansion pin set go to the same UART port on the PIC32 port pins as the WF32, and then having to load the bootloader onto the chip.  

I have not personally tried what I have described, but I think it should work (at least in principle). It may be easier to program the Max32 through MPLABX (the MPLABX IDE that you mentioned) so that way both boards are programmed from the same IDE. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,

JColvin

Thank you, I guess the smart thing to do would be learn more about MPLABX. I am researching that now. I'm still not certain how to connect the two units together. I am trying to avoid adding a wifi shield, that is why the stand alone web server sounded interesting. So far I haven't been able to locate any information on going about it this way. All though I feel I'm on the right track. Thanks,

Archived