AD2 super high voltage offset

nanderson

Question

Hi all,

At some point yesterday, I believe while attempting to get a DD working at the same time as an AD2, my AD2 started seeing a ~25.7v offset on channel 1, with the leads completely floating or even shorted together. I tried re-running calibration but wasn't getting good results. Is there anything that can be done about this, or do I need to reach out to digilent?

image.thumb.png.747940fc4799745c222ac20b44394d67.png

8 answers to this question

On 5/17/2023 at 7:18 AM, attila said:

Hi @nanderson

Probably the input switch got damaged by high voltage

Could a static shock have done it? The scope was hooked up to something that was only generating at max 5v output, but I may have accidentally shocked it while standing out of my chair. I'd hope that there would be some sort of protection against that, but that's the only thing I can think of having caused it.

1 hour ago, attila said:

I don't think ESD could have caused damage.

Then I have no idea what could have caused the damage. The only other thing of note that was going on when the damage occurred was Waveforms freaking out when I tried hooking up a Digital Discovery at the same time as the AD2. 

Since it looks like I'm out of luck for warranty service, do you offer any repair service? I could replace the IC on my own, but would rather not for what's supposed to be a measurement device I trust to have been calibrated by someone with proper equipment. 

Hi @nanderson

We don't offer repair services.
Replacing the ADG612 should not require device recalibration, but such can be performed easily with the WaveForms application and good DMM.

On 5/17/2023 at 2:18 PM, attila said:

Probably the input switch got damaged by high voltage, see the following:

Bummer about the voltage offset hassle with your AD2, mate. Kudos for trying the calibration fix, but it sounds like it's still giving you grief.
If it's still acting up, it might be worth shooting a message over to Digilent for some tech support. They're usually pretty helpful with this kind of stuff. But before you do that, maybe try a hard reset if you haven't already – sometimes that can work wonders.
Oh, and speaking of electrical stuff, when we had issues at our place, we hit up an Ottawa electrician who sorted us out properly. It might be worth getting their take on it, too.

Edited by KayleeJones