Encountered problems when developing the Eclypse Z7 using the Waveform SDK

ewb_topic

Question

I have done some work using LabVIEW on the waveform SDK of Digilent, such as developing AD1, AD2, and ADS , and the effect is good. Recently, when working on Digilent Eclypse Z7 in a similar way, I encountered some problems, such as:
1. When changing the sampling rate, there is almost no difference in the update speed of the displayed waveform. For example, for sine waves with frequencies of 1k, 10k, and 100k, the waveform captured by the oscilloscope during testing has no visual difference in frequency, and the phenomenon of not being able to see signals with higher frequencies and faster changes can be referred to the video.
2. When the oscilloscope is in single acquisition mode, the acquired results are basically normal. However, when using the scanshift and scanscreen modes, LabVIEW will crash and exit.
The above abnormal phenomena are only found in Eclypse Z7 and have not been found in the use of AD1, AD2, and ADS.

Are there any friends who have encountered similar situations?

14 answers to this question

DAQWare for Digilent ADS 1.0.7(SDK3.10.9 x64)

https://tla.lanzoul.com/i6IuQ0bdmjqh

password:tlase

DAQWare for Digilent ADS 1.0.7(SDK3.8.8 x64)

https://tla.lanzoul.com/iuByz0blw6ta

password:tlase

The above version requires support from LabVIEW 2015 development environment and also requires support from Waveform 3.8.8 environment

Waveform 3.8.8 supports AD1, AD2, and ADS, but does not support Eclypse Z7. The above software is only used to demonstrate that the support for AD1, AD2, and ADS is working properly.

Hi @ewb_topic

Such crashes could indicate memory corruption, buffer corruption. Are you allocating sufficient memory for the capture in LV ?
If you are using the WF VIs increase the data buffer in the MSO Read VI or better allocate it outside of this before calling the Run. Newer device (Eclypse,ADP3X50...) can capture more than it is by default allocated in the VI.

I would recommend using the latest sw version:

Yes, the work in the video was tested based on Waveform 3.19.34, and the software used for testing is exactly the same as the one used with the Waveform 3.8.8 version. In the Waveform SDK 3.8.8 environment, there are no problems with AD1, AD2, and ADS.

Especially in the ScanShift mode and ScanScreen mode, LabVIEW crashes only occur on the Eclypse Z7. Therefore, I think there may be unknown bugs in the 3.19.34 SDK and its earlier versions.

The update speed of the waveform signal on the Eclypse Z7 screen is also a known issue. Currently, the update speed seen is completely different from using AD1, AD2, and ADS. The display speed is very uniform but very slow, rather than the real-time update speed of AD1, AD2, and ADS, which is very fast.

I hope that the upcoming Waveform SDK can solve the aforementioned issues encountered when using LabVIEW to call the Waveform SDK with the Eclypse Z7.

I recorded a new video to provide more information and better describe the problem.

The following video uses Waveform 3.19.34 and two AD devices, AD1 and AD2.

In order to meet the requirements for the size of the uploaded video, the video has been compressed and resized.

PS:The program here is programmed using Waveform SDK to import DLL, not implemented using VIPM Digilent Waveform VIs programming.

11.jpg

Edited by ewb_topic

I discovered an interesting phenomenon that when using VIPM's Digilent Waveform VIs programming, the waveform update speed is very slow and the same for  1k 、1M、and 10M sampling rates.

In this video, natural noise signals are used to demonstrate the update speed of the signal.

The faster update display speed of the high sampling rate collected signal is inconsistent with this.3.png

Edited by ewb_topic

using the maximum value of 8192 as a reference for the AD series buffer.And divide the maximum buffer value by 1024, which results in an integer value of 8000, making it easier for calculation.

buffer=2500@125kS/s,2500@500kS/s,50@100MS/s,buffer Maximum value should not exceed 8000.

I like WaveForms, the current version is the latest, I also have Eclypse, I tried to run the above program, and the result is exactly the same as the host, the program update response is very slow, completely different from what I used to call AD2, it seems that there is a problem with the API here.
My guess is that Eclypse uses a ZYNQ architecture, which is different from the Spartan FPGA  used in AD2, which also affects data transfer and call.

Hi @Pauluck

I'm getting good communication performance with WF and Eclypse, about 100 Scope capture/sec.
image.png

If you are not using the Ethernet interface disable it under WF/Device Manager. Having this enabled and no link, could cause higher USB latency after power up for a few seconds.

32 minutes ago, attila said:

Hi attila,

You're right, when I used WaveForms, everything was perfect, quick response, timely data.

However, when using the above LabVIEW program, if you still use AD2, then the same feeling, but if using Eclypse, then everything changes, the display is slow, like sick. I'm using USB at the moment, let me try Ethernet tomorrow. Thank you for your reply.

32 minutes ago, attila said:

Hi @Pauluck

I'm getting good communication performance with WF and Eclypse, about 100 Scope capture/sec.
image.png

If you are not using the Ethernet interface disable it under WF/Device Manager. Having this enabled and no link, could cause higher USB latency after power up for a few seconds.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:15 PM, Pauluck said:

Hi  @attila

Sorry for the long delay in reporting to you.
I tried an Ethernet connection, and unfortunately, it behaved like a USB connection, with significant delays, like walking a thin pipe and even limescale. It's annoying.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:42 PM, attila said:

Hi @Pauluck

image.png