USB-2416 Digital I/O not available in InstaCal

mzlatinov_erg

Question

I have the USM-2416 (actually I bought mine from Omega, so its labeled as OMB-DAQ-2416, but its the same product). I am trying to use digital outputs but am unable to configure or test them via InstaCal - the options are greyed out. This device has 8 digital I/O chanels, so I am not sure why they are not showing up on InstaCal. 

image.png.9bbbe91b4829908b4db16078090885ac.png

4 answers to this question

Your USB-2416 analog input channel must be configured with the InstaCal utility, not the digital IO. To set the digital IO direction with LabVIEW, place a ULx Create Channel VI on the block diagram and change the bottom selector from Analog Input to Digital Input or Output. Do this before connecting any wires. The ULx LabVIEW digital IO examples are in \National Instruments\LabVIEW 2022\Examples\ULx\Digital. To test the outputs, open the library called Generate Values.llb and run ULx Write Dig Chan.vi. To test the inputs, open the library called Read Values.llb and run ULx Read Dig Chan.vi.

9 hours ago, JRys said:

The InstaCal digital IO test is not available for the USB-2416 series. I'm unsure why it was left out while other devices have it; however, instead of InstaCal, use our DAQami program to test the digital IO.  

Thank you JRys for your response!

I was able to verify that the DIO channel is working via DAQami (by the way I love DAQami for basic data acquisition - very user friendly and aesthetically pleasing). However I need to use ULx for NI LabVIEW, and my understanding is that I need to configure the channels with InstaCal first. Can I configure via DAQami instead (will Labview read that configuration file)? In this case I would need to configure the DIO channel for output vs input.

Thanks!

Hello,

I apologize for the late response. Unfortunately, DAQami cannot be used to configure the channels when using ULx for LabVIEW. The critical thing to remember is that LabVIEW reads the InstaCal setup when it first starts, and there's no way to refresh the configuration once it starts. 

Best regards,

John