Suggestion for new canvas.

Dr. Pyeatt

Question

Hi, I am new to the Digilent forums, so correct me if this is the wrong place for this post.

I am a professor (Computer Engineering) at South Dakota School of Mines. We are upgrading our teaching labs and want to use Digilent equipment.  However, none of the available canvasses meets the needs for our introductory digital logic course. Basically, we need a lot of switches and a lot of LED's on the canvas.  We have been using the Elenco digital trainers (circa 1980) for this course. That unit is no longer produced and we would like to have a canvas that has similar features.  Lots of switches and lots of LEDs, with voltage/current limits.

Is this something that would be of interest to others?  Should I request this from Digilent?  Should I design it in-house?

1 answer to this question

Hi @Dr. Pyeatt,

This is an appropriate place to request this. Perhaps the Test and Measurement section would be better for overall visibility with regards to getting insight from other customers with regards to if they are also interested in such a canvas. I have taken the liberty of moving this thread to the Test and Measurement section for that purpose.

In terms of making your own canvas in house, this is certainly possible to do (and probably a wiser idea if you are on a time crunch and only need a limited number of them); there is a design guide for making your own available here: https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/analog-discovery-studio/canvas-design-guide.

Edit: I can confirm that the request for this type of Canvas has been passed on to the appropriate contacts at Digilent.

Thanks,
JColvin

Edited by JColvin