QuickDAQ software keeps crashing after installation

Mikel

Question

I just have purchased and installed QuickDAQ (advanced) and DT9837A for vibration analysis.

Connection between QuickDAQ and DT9837A works fine.

However, the moment I modify the graphics of an FRF measurement result in QuickDAQ (whether this is new measurement with the DT connected, or a loaded, previously recorded measurement while the DT is detached) the software either freezes within a few mouse clicks, or crashes. More specifically, clicking the 'Zoom All Full Out' button consistently results in an immediate crash (screen shot of the Error Message and the Error log are attached.)

Installed version QuickDAQ 3.7.0.49 (came with Omni software V7.8.9,zip). Running on a HP ZBook G7 Mobile Workstation, Windows 11.

Help solving this issue is very much appreciated

Kind regards, Mikel

Screenshot-after_pressing_zoom.png

QuickDAQErrLog.log

12 answers to this question

Hello,

I have the same version of QuickDAQ and a DT9837, and the two channel FRF display does not crash the software. I can modify the scaling by holding down the control key on the keyboard and dragging the mouse across the graph left-right & up-down without incident. The Zoom-Out All button works too. I've seen strange QuickDAQ behavior before and it can sometimes be cured by deleting the configuration file and rebuilding the setup. A new file is automatically created if the old file is not found. On my computer, it is located in C:\users\userName\AppData\Local\Data Translation\QuickDAQ\Config\ and is named QuickDAQConfiguration.xml. Please let me know the results.

Best regards,

John

John, thanks for your quick reply.

I've deleted the old config file, and created a new measurement setup. The software crash - following the Zoom All Full Out - is now gone. (It seems that my original measurement data file was somehow corrupted - using this data file the crash-behaviour persists ). That's the good news. 

However, QuickDAQ still keeps freezing after a few operations on the graphics (such as modifying the scaling as you described), making it very hard using the sw.
See attached screenshot: 'Not Responding' in the header (even after 20 min, no change). 

Additional suggestions welcome!

Kind regards, Mikel

QuickDAQfreezes2.thumb.png.e0d3668fe95ececcc33d621e3cadccc8.png

John,

Please find attached both config file and data file.

When starting QuickDAQ without the DT, I can load the data file - not the config file. Using the datafile, I can reproduce the error mentioned above. The data-file has two time- plots and a bode plot (amplitude and phase).

I do not know whether this makes sense, but I get the impression (in several trials ending in a freeze), that I can freely zoom the time plots, and the phase plot, but when manipulating the amplitude plot, freezing occurs. I am curious whether you can reconstruct this behaviour with the data file!

Appreciating your help,

regards,
Mikel

QuickDAQ Data-1.hpf derdeconfigsessie.xml

I gave the files to a colleague with more experience with Data Translation products, and he could not duplicate the issue. So I suspect that there is something odd about your computer. You could see if the PC's manufacturer has updates that need to be applied, or you could try a different PC.

John,

Issue still not solved. I have a couple of questions:

I un-installed all QuickDAQ/DT apps/drivers and re-installed. That did not solve de problem.
Laptop is HP ZBook G7 Mobile Workstation. I made sure that all updates were installed before installing QuickDAQ. That should be a compatible laptop, shouldn't it? Any suggestion about what could be odd about my computer?
Still need to get another laptop for testing.

Questions:
1. Is QuickDAQ compatible with Windows 11?
(Reason to ask: When I click 'Troubleshoot Compatibility' (right mouse click on  QuickDAQ.exe), it only suggest Windows 8 or older - not Windows 10)

2.  A couple of months ago, prior to purchasing, I tested the software plus DT on the same laptop. It worked fine (thus without the fatal errors that occur now). Different at that time was: My laptop still ran Windows 10, and the QuickDAQ software was older version (I believe it was called VIBPoint at the time).
Might it be useful to test older version of QuickDAQ?  Can I download an older version?

kind regards,

Mikel

I can't say that QuickDAQ is compatible with Windows 10 or 11. The data sheet fails to list the supported operating systems. However, it's my experience most of our customers are running Windows 10, and fewer have Windows 11. I have tested QuickDAQ on both Windows 10 and 11 and haven't been able to duplicate the issue you reported. My Windows 10 computer is an old Intel i7 from 2010 with UHD graphics and 8M RAM. My Windows 11 computer is a new Intel i9 with NVIDIA graphics and 16M RAM. I'm sorry, but I cannot explain why the HP ZBook has trouble. 

I couldn't find an old version of QuickDAQ. However, the engineer most familiar with the Data Translation products will return to the office later next week. He may have something.

John,

I have an update and a couple of questions:

Including my ZBook, I have now tested the QuickDAQ software on four different laptops:
- my P ZBook
- Lenovo Yoga 510 , running Windows 10  - tested with the DT
- HP Probook 430 G6, Win10 - tested with the DT
- HP probook 640 G4, Win11 - tested only with loading an earlier recorded data file (thus without the DT connected),

With the three systems connected to the DT, is was no problem execute an FRF measurement.
However,  all four systems either freeze or crash when zooming the FRF, in pretty much the exact same way. 
Taking into account that I used a previous version of QuickDAQ  on the ZBook without any problem, I think it is safe now to conclude that is a software bug and not a laptop-issue.  

Given these experimental results, I am very surprised that you cannot reproduce the same error.
Just to make sure:
- Did you load the attached data file for evaluation?
- Did you use the exact same software version? (Version 3.7.0.49) 

Continued:

Given these experimental results, I am very surprised that you cannot reproduce the same error.
Just to make sure:
- Did you load the attached data file for evaluation?
- Did you use the exact same software version? (Version 3.7.0.49) 
- Did you test zooming the amplitude plot of the FRF?
- Was the scaling of the amplitude logarithmic? (this is the default when setting up an FRF measurement).

When setting the amplitude scale to linear, the freezing, or crashing seem to be gone, but  after some fiddling (turning back on, or hiding the plot, zooming  etc) freeze/crash still happens.

This is a show stopper for using the analyser software.

- I previously sent you an error log (that was generated by  QuickDAQ). Is this being used to evaluate the software?
- Can you provide a bug fix?
- As work around, can you provide an earlier software version? (You mentioned that you had to wait for an engineer to return to office to help you here). 

Kind regards,

Mikel

I am now able to experience the Zoom bug, I don't know why I didn't see it before. Sometimes, you can use Zoom All Full Out to recover, but that depends on whether QuickDAQ is indicating "Not Responding" or not. I'm using the HPF file you sent a while ago. It shows the FRF data pegged at 1.00, but I can't change the scaling without running into the bug. If I use Y-Axis Setup and switch the scale to Linear, it works much better. In linear mode, I zoom out, then switch it back to log 10 and it behaves better. But if you zoom in, the bug reappears. I also changed one of the other displays to Log 10, which experienced the same bug, so I am confident it has to do with Log 10 scaling. 

I checked on the possibility of getting an older copy of QuickDAQ but have been told we cannot issue FFT license keys.