About the tray used for packaging JTAG-SMT2-NC

matsuya

Question

Please let me know the upper limit of the temperature for the tray used when shipped from Digilent.
We will bake the JTAG-SMT2-NC before mounting it on the board.
I would like to know if it is possible to bake while leaving it on the tray.

7 answers to this question

Hi @JColvin 

Thank you for your prompt response.

My previous statement was inappropriate.
I have a question regarding the maximum temperature limit for the tray used in the product packaging.

I would like to have a response by the evening of April 24th.
Looking forward to hearing good news from you.

Thanks

Matsuya

Hi @matsuya,

I spoke with the Engineering Services Manager and learned the following:

The maximum temperature limit of the tray is 150 deg Celsius; they also confirmed with our contract manufacturer that the 40 piece tray is safe to be baked at 125 deg C for 24 hours.
JTAG SMT modules that are individually sold come in anti-static bags with no baking tray (and of course the bag cannot be baked).

However, while the tray and electronic module itself is able to handle being baked at the stated temperature without issue, any stickers on the modules (such as the quality control check sticker label) are not able to handle the 125 deg C without melting. To avoid this, they recommend that the modules are instead baked at 70 degrees C for 72 hours in order to reach MSL 3 without damaging any of the nonelectrical items (tray is fine of course).

I will work on getting the reference materials for the various JTAG SMT devices updated with this information as it does not currently account for any labels.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin

Thank you for your response.

I understand that a revision of the reference manual for JTAG-SMT2-NC is necessary.

Could you please tell me when the document is scheduled to be revised?

Reason for wanting to know the revision schedule:

I am a sales agent for Digilent products and I need to provide customers who purchased JTAG-SMT2-NC with supporting documents.

Hi @matsuya,

You are correct, I had dropped this thread and then had become focused on a new product release and clearly did not get back to it.

I have just now updated all of the live reference pages for the various SMT modules since they would have all been affected by this (since they would have all had a quality control or some similar kind of sticker), though only the JTAG SMT2 NC pdf has been updated.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin