Waveforms SW download is inconvenient.

Question

Hi,

Much to my chagrin I found that the procedure for downloading the Waveforms software now takes an extra step, with you guys sending a download link via email.

This kind of process is annoying. The previous method was already quite irritating because I needed to provide an email address for every download, which gets old pretty soon (especially if you have to download many versions, as I need to do for testing pydwf). The new process requires even more steps.

Many companies selling equipment just provide direct download links for their software, which is what customers prefer for obvious reasons. The value of the info you get from forcing this process on your customers vs the annoyance it induces should be clear.

So I urge you to reconsider, but I suspect you won't.

It is somewhat painful to see that you guys are turning from a small company with a clear customer-first focus, into a company that increasingly adopts these kinds of practices, but I guess this was inevitable with the acquisition of Digilent by NI.

I just want to let you know that as an old-hand customer (I bought my first FPGA development board with you guys perhaps 20 years ago) it is sad to see this happen. Customer loyalty is hard to build but easy to lose.

4 answers to this question

Hi @reddish

I had a similar observation a few days ago and got the following response:
"...We're also working on ways to make this process easier for customers.  For example, soon, customers that are already signed into their Digilent account will not see this form at all and will be taken directly to a download page."

You can also download the update directly from the app:
image.png

Hi Atilla,

Assuming you have a more direct link to the people who decide these matters, please forward my post.

Downloading the software from inside Waveforms works, but it is not convenient, especially if you want to download multiple versions for different platforms.

As to a "digilent account": I think it is entirely unreasonable to require that customers who already paid for a device need to either make an account or provide their email address to download software updates. Also, I think it clashes with European GDPR legislation.

What would be optimal is a freely accessible webpage that provides the current (and preferably older) versions of the software for all supported platforms. Anything else is unnecessarily annoying for the customer. In short: don't make me jump through hoops for the sole benefit of your marketing department.

6 hours ago, reddish said:

Customer loyalty is hard to build but easy to lose.

Amen. How many times have I posted the same thought? The AD product support is excellent beyond all expectations, why do stupid things to engender consternation among your customer base that has no benefit to anyone? Please resist old habits and make life easier for your customers... and yourselves in the process.