MCC Software crashes LabVIEW 2020 64bit

herby

Question

Trying to acquire data with the newly received USB-2402-UI using LabVIEW 2020 64bit, the VI "Stop Task.vi" regularly crashes LabVIEW. I observed this using the simple code below:

MCC-Crash.jpg.cf76bf6477253089c977d243cf6095f7.jpg

As I do not observe these crashes when using the same code with a USB-1608GX device using 64bit and as I do neither get crashes when running the code with the USB-2402-UI in LabVIEW 2020 32bit I asssume that there is a bug in one of the two 64bit-dll's "ULx_LV(2.27.0.0)" or "Universal Library™ 6.73".

Due to this I conclude that the buggy code piece is USB-2402-specific and, from the observed behaviour, I speculate that maybe at one location in the dll-code memory allocation is done for a 32bit pointer instead of the 64bit pointer used. In consequence, LabVIEW crashes sometimes after 3 for-loop iterations, sometimes after 5 or 7 - and these crashes are absent in the 32bit-version.

As I need 64bit due to large datasets coming from a camera in the same instrument and as the bug should be easy to reproduce I hope that MCC will correct this bug soon such that we do not have to search for alternative AD-hardware.

5 answers to this question

Hello @herby.

Thank you for your post.  I tested three MCC devices (USB-2404-UI, USB-1608GX-2AO, USB-231) with LabVIEW 2021 SP1 (32-bit) and LabVIEW 2022 Q3 (64-bit).  My system is running Windows 10 (64-bit) and I have InstaCal v6.73 and ULx for NI LabVIEW v2.27 installed.  The USB-2404-UI and USB-231 use the same driver (mccusbfn.sys), while the USB-1608GX-2AO uses a different driver (mcusb.sys).

I am able to reproduce the LabVIEW 64-bit crashing with the USB-2404-UI and your example, but not with the USB-231 nor USB-1608GX-2AO devices.

I will report this issue to our software engineers and update this post once a fix is available.

Regards,

Fausto

Hello.

We made a change to the driver to address the USB-2404-UI issue.  Please try the attached driver to confirm the fix.

Here are steps that he needs to take:

Close all of the running applications (especially LabVIEW)

Go to the UL folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Measurement Computing\DAQ".

Rename the cbw32.dll and cbw64.dll files to cbw32.dll_orig and cbw64.dll_orig.

Unzip the attachment. Inside the USB-2404-UI folder, you will find the updated cbw32.dll and cbw64.dll files.

Copy those two files to the UL folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Measurement Computing\DAQ".

Run the LabVIEW program that shows crash.

USB-2404-UI.zip

Regards,

Fausto

Hi Fausto,

this is really great! What a service!!!

Now, the USB-2404 is at the moment at the partner company to figure out, how to mount it in the final instrument. I will thus have to wait a few days, until I can test the fix (next week, maybe Wednesday or Thursday). I will then immediately check the fix and report the result.

Thanks!

Hi Fausto,

I just received another USB-2404-UI and tested the fix you postet. It works😊 (both in development environment as well as in an exe)!!

Great and thanks for such a fast fix.

Herby