Using the previous DB37-to-4xDB9 Quad-04 cable with a Quad-08

BrianC

Question

Hello,

If one of our customers needs to replace a PCI-Quad-04 with a Quad-08 - can they simply move the 37-pin cable from the Quad04 to the J12 connector on the Quad-08? Assume the software using the devices has been changed to recognize the Quad-08 and the InstaCal board number for the Quad-08 has also been updated.

We normally send out a QUAD-08 using the screw terminals for channels 1-4 connected to an adapter cable. But one of our customers is changing to a PC without a PCI slot for his existing Quad-04. To simplify the swap-in/upgrade, he wants to know if he can use his previous Quad-04 cable, and if there is any extra configuration to make this work.

4 answers to this question

Thank you for your response. If we used an adapter cable to change the pinout to what we would expect... then is there anything else that needs to be done to use the 37-pin cable instead of the screw terminals?

Hey Brian,

The PCI-QUAD04 and the USB-QUAD08 both read quadrature encoders. However, they both work just a little bit differently. They were never intended to be compatible with each other.  I recommend looking them up in the Universal Library help file (UL Help). It will show you the commands and options available for each device.  You may have to make a few changes to get the USB-QUAD08 to work like the PCI-QUAD04. 

https://www.mccdaq.com/pdfs/manuals/Mcculw_WebHelp/ULStart.htm

John

It looks like if we use CBCIn32, there isn't an additional parameter to specify... so I think it all seems like it should work.

I checked on the cable again, and they actually are the same pin-out. Just the Quad08 pin-out is a zero-based reference and the Quad04 pin-out is 1-based.

Thank you!