Issuses communicating with USB-1208HS and USB-1608G

gooteeiii

Question

We have used Measurement Computing USB AIO devices for over a decade with no issues. Past USB models we use have included: 1608fs, 16082GX/2AO, 1408fs, 4301, 4304, 4302, 3101, PDIS08. We've had no issues communicating with these. Our method has always been the same: run Instacal, then we run our HMI and the device is available to us within our HMI.

We now have USB-1208HS and 1608G, we have multiple of each so we can be reasonably sure the units themselves work fine. Both models are showing in Instacal however they are not visible in our HMI.

We are trying to determine the possible cause on our end but I want to ask if something is different with the 1608G and 1208HS that would cause us to be unable to read them into our HMI the same as the other models from the past? 

4 answers to this question

Hello AJ,

Thank you for being a great customer. The good news is that we are not getting reports of these devices not showing up in existing software, and rest assured, they have stayed the same. Because you must run InstaCal, your HMI software uses the board number it assigned. Occasionally,  the software will crash, leaving something in memory that holds onto the device object preventing another program or the same program from re-establishing communication. A quick reboot fixes it; I'm guessing you've tried this. If you've upgraded to Windows 11, ensure you've upgraded InstaCal to version 6.72 or 6.73. The earlier versions can fool you and appear to work. 

You can test to ensure it's working by running our DAQami or TracerDAQ programs.

Best regards,

John

34 minutes ago, JRys said:

Hello AJ,

Thank you for being a great customer. The good news is that we are not getting reports of these devices not showing up in existing software, and rest assured, they have stayed the same. Because you must run InstaCal, your HMI software uses the board number it assigned. Occasionally,  the software will crash, leaving something in memory that holds onto the device object preventing another program or the same program from re-establishing communication. A quick reboot fixes it; I'm guessing you've tried this. If you've upgraded to Windows 11, ensure you've upgraded InstaCal to version 6.72 or 6.73. The earlier versions can fool you and appear to work. 

You can test to ensure it's working by running our DAQami or TracerDAQ programs.

Best regards,

John

I can immediately unplug the 1208HS or 1608G and plug in a 1408fs or a 4301 or a 3101 or PDIS08 with the same cable, on a Windows 10 machine, that has used all the of the other models I mentioned, run Instacal, and it works. Instacal is version 6.73, I am certain the devices are working but I could really use some help understanding how we go from recognizing the device in Instacal to another program such as an HMI and being able to interface with them. This appears to be the breakdown, and why with just these 2 models when all those other ones work?

It sounds like the HMI software is looking for a specific named device. In other words, it sees there is an InstaCal board number zero and then checks if it is a supported name. For example, USB-1608GX-2AO may be okay but not USB-1608G. Do you have access to the portion of the HMI code that establishes contact with a device? If not, does the HMI developer say it works with any MCC device?

On 3/14/2023 at 5:40 AM, JRys said:

Hello AJ,

Best regards,

John

Hi John,

Not sure if this is the right place or if it is too late to respond on this thread, but I am using USB-PDIS08 and noticed that you mentioned there are occasional instances where "the software will crash, leaving something in memory that holds onto the device object preventing another program or the same program from re-establishing communication." I have actually noticed this on several of our devices and the solution is to unplug the power and dissipate the device from all electricity, then plugging it back in. Is there an alternative way to resolve this issue when it happens such as an API call that can do a software purge/reset? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Alberto