About the "Terminal counter output" function of the USB-QUAD08 - Quadrature Encoder USB Device

winstonsze

Question

As I know that the DIO0 - DIO7 is the output terminal, I would like to know whether this device can provide following function:

For example:

I have a incremental encoder connected to the channel 0.

I want to count every 4096 pulse to output a trigger pulse in DIO0 as a hardware event, and reset the counter to 0 as the same time.

Is this model of USB-QUAD08 - Quadrature Encoder USB Device can be set to provide above function or not?

What is the output voltage and the output form of DIO0 - DIO7?

What input forms are acceptable for this device? HTL/TTL/RS422?

4 answers to this question

Hello,

The USB-QUAD08 cannot count to a level and then output a pulse. Instead, use the USB-CTR04. It has a modulus counting mode you could set to count up to 4096 and output a pulse. The count will then roll over to zero and up to 4096 again. Unfortunately, this mode is not supported in our DAQami or DASYLab software or with our LabVIEW support. Requires a C or Python program for control.

Best regards,
John

Hello John,

Did u means that the USB-QUAD08 cannot count up to 4096 and output a pulse?

Since i have found the User's Guide has following description:

https://www.mccdaq.com/PDFs/manuals/USB-QUAD08.pdf

In page 25 of User's Guide, the digital I/O claims that it can be uses as the terminal count output, the output state will go high when the count is equal to the terminal count value. We can use C or Python program for control the device, but we need to know this device can offer the above function or not?

Although I has already found the device USB-CTR series, this series may not support to input the Encoder Phase A,B,Z pulses to count.

Best regards,

Winston

5 hours ago, winstonsze said:

Hello John,

Did u means that the USB-QUAD08 cannot count up to 4096 and output a pulse?

Since i have found the User's Guide has following description:

https://www.mccdaq.com/PDFs/manuals/USB-QUAD08.pdf

In page 25 of User's Guide, the digital I/O claims that it can be uses as the terminal count output, the output state will go high when the count is equal to the terminal count value. We can use C or Python program for control the device, but we need to know this device can offer the above function or not?

Although I has already found the device USB-CTR series, this series may not support to input the Encoder Phase A,B,Z pulses to count.

Best regards,

Winston

Hello,

I believe that I was mistaken. The programming help guide shows a dot net function EnableTerminalCountStatusBit(). Using C or Python, use the cbSetConfig or set_config with the ConfigItem=BITERMCOUNTSTATBIT and ConfigVal = 0(disable) or 1(enabled). When configuring the counter for this operation, the programming help indicates a MODULO_N_ON and also a RANGE_LIMIT_ON mode parameter. RANGE_LIMIT_ON lets you set both a min & max span. I believe MODULO_N_ON allows only a max limit to be set. Set the range using the functions CLoad32 or c_load_32 for Python.

Just so you know, the programming guide (UL Help) is installed on your computer when InstaCal is installed from our CD download. It can be found in the Measurement Computing programs folder. There is a slightly different version of it online https://www.mccdaq.com/pdfs/manuals/Mcculw_WebHelp/ULStart.htm. A good place to start is the USB-QUAD08 page. 

Best regards,
John