Partial Reconfiguration support on Digilent Dev Board

feplooptest

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi @feplooptest,

Digilent doesn't provide any specific examples on partial reconfig for any of our boards, however, it's my understanding that pretty much any of them ought to support it - though we haven't done any testing. I haven't run through these tutorials, but Unit 6 and 7 here look promising for using a Zybo Z7: http://www.secs.oakland.edu/~llamocca/EmbSysZynq.html.

Thanks,

Arthur

Partial reconfiguration is independent of FPGA device, and for the most part FPGA vendor. The question is whether or not your tool license lets you do it. I believe that the free versions of Vivado do NOT support partial reconfiguration. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure that someone will correct me on this.

8 hours ago, zygot said:

Partial reconfiguration is independent of FPGA device, and for the most part FPGA vendor. The question is whether or not your tool license lets you do it. I believe that the free versions of Vivado do NOT support partial reconfiguration. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure that someone will correct me on this.

According to UG909 (I looked at 2021.1): 

Dynamic Function eXchange is available as a feature within the Vivado Design Suite. Starting with Vivado 2019.1, no specific license code is necessary to use this feature for any edition of Vivado.

For older versions of Vivado, a Partial Reconfiguration license is included with every System Edition and Design Edition seat, and is available for purchase for Standard Edition seats.

NB: "Dynamic Function eXchange" is what Xilinx is calling the feature they used to call "Partial Reconfiguration".

B/R