Eclypse Z7 Not Connecting to Waveforms

JimR2

Question

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me understand why the Eclypse Z7 I just received isn't connecting to Waveforms?

I followed the Resource instructions for booting from a SD card. Using a 32G FAT32 formatted card, I copied the file indicated and renamed, as shown in the pic.

I have 4 other Digilent devices (AD2, DD, ADP3450 and DPS3340, and they all connect fine. I have the jumper JP5 set for SD and am using the USB port labeled USB nearest the power supply connector.

When I power on, the top red LED lights, as well as the LD2 and LD3 next to the ZMODS (which are both 1410-105's).

The Z7 never appears to connect to the USB? I'm using the same powered USB hub for the Z7, as the other 4 Digilent instruments.

When I start Waveforms, I see all the other devices, but no Z7? 

Any idea what I should try next? I thought this would be a quick way to check the Z7 was working? In meantime, am downloading Vivado. For reference, I also included the Waveforms version below in a pic, should be the latest.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Regards, JimR2

image.png.4fa11f78d315a6d9a4a3aca542d8fa42.png

image.png.35cf31853f1a37c54173f5be8dc34454.png

image.thumb.png.a31d2652e6c82bb2770f5d3d0da726fb.png

19 answers to this question

Hi Attila,

It's a SDHC, as seen in pic. Should the allocation size make a difference? I'm doing long re-formatting with default settings since I'm not sure what I may have used the card for before.

Where do I get access to the WF 3.19.19 downloads? I only see WF 3.19.5 as the latest?

Thanks, Jim

SDHC_Card.thumb.jpg.6e9619cde0b7ffdd1bc38e846c5108f0.jpg

Thanks for the link, forgot Betas are in different location.

Couple other simple debug questions.

1) When I plug in the USB, Windows does not acknowledge a device was plugged in. Could that be a function of the SD Card boot, or does the port get configured by something else, like a boot rom on board?

Hi Attila,

It's a SDHC, as seen in pic. Should the allocation size make a difference? I'm doing long re-formatting with default settings since I'm not sure what I may have used the card for before.

Where do I get access to the WF 3.19.19 downloads? I only see WF 3.19.5 as the latest?

Thanks, Jim

SDHC_Card.thumb.jpg.6e9619cde0b7ffdd1bc38e846c5108f0.jpg

Attila

Thanks for the link for the Beta versions, SD Card just finished formatting, will give it another go.

Couple more debug questions

1) Is the fact that Windows does not acknowledge the Z7 when USB is plugged in a function of the SD Boot, or does the port config happen using may a on board EEPROM?

2) Should the FPGA fan be running all the time, or is it controlled via a temp sensor?

Thanks, Jim

Attila,

I have installed WF 3.19.19, as seen below. Had to turn off my Norton Firewall to use it, guess thats a Beta thing?

I re-formatted my 32G SDHC card with default settings, copied over the DCFG_07_01_01.bin and renamed, and still get same response as indicated above (LED's light as indicated as normal, but no connection to windows evident)..

I assume the USB driver used by the Z7 is the same as the other instruments? Again, there is no indication by windows it recognizes as USB device.

If thre are any other recommendations, please let me know. If there is another connection method I should try, let me know what you suggest, I will try after work today. Have to go make $$ to afford these hobbies :)

Thanks, Jim

image.png.76060db0374626383669d5ebe89f41c0.png

image.png.cc42522462dda3f1b510315d5302dd57.png

Attila,

Sorry for the multiple replys.

Thanks for info on FPGA fan. So If I understand you correctly, it should be ON all the time? Mine has never turned on, so perhaps thats an indication of another issue?

Also should mention I've tried 2 different USB cables, including the one that came with the Z7.

Will stop and get more SD cards tonight to try. Thanks for your help, hopefully can get this going! I really like the Waveforms based eco-system you guys have.

Regards, Jim

Atilla

Good news, I got a new SDHC card, and this one booted fine. I just configure both 1410-105 ZMOD cards, and drove them with my ADP3450 wavegen. Seems to work well!

Still curious whether the FPGA fan should be running my default when plugged in, was unclear from one of your earlier posts?

Going to dig into my Eclypse Z7 more this weekend, but at least I've seen it function now! 

Also am curious if I need to be running the WF3.19.19 Beta, or if the latest released download will also work with the Z7? 

Thanks for your help, 

Jim

image.png.f85a1879fe419cece5ecd18d4674f7cd.png

Hi @JimR2

V3.19.21 is working again with Eclypse.
The next version will fix the Eth DHCP and Record with maximum buffer size 128/256Mi samples, but the normal capture is working up to max size.

With this project the Zynq is estimated to consumes up to 2.5W It is probably fine without fan since for me it heats up only to 54*C, max would be 85*C

image.png

FYI. The WF3.19.19 Beta, I ran into issues with it all of a sudden, it got com errors with every device. I would try and turn on a scope on my ADP3450, fand run, and it would sit there and do what I call "motorboating". When you hit run on the scope, it would quickly flash up a com error, then you'd hear relays click, and then would repeat the com error, and sit there and oscillate forever (I assume).

I've downgraded back to WF3.19.5, and at least I'm able to communicate again? Not sure what set it off? I had connected in the new AD2 I got with my Eclypse Z7 purchase, and had renamed it to a different name, so I could distinguish it (especially in the MATLAB DAQ toolbox).

Thought I'd pass that along. I know you said there was newer Beta versions, so will try them later.

Regards, Jim

Hi @JimR2

You could use 3.19.22

22 hours ago, attila said:

The earlier mentioned issues are fixed.

The newer versions bring new features, like:

See the changes on the download post.

The 3.19.19 had a bug noted for this version:
Known:
- in Scope under time Options uncheck "Acquire Noise" otherwise it will give an error !

Thanks Atilla,

I will try the newer beta versions soon. Got side tracked installing Vivado and the Digilent board files, and playing with the IP provided for the Eclypse. Went pretty smooth, thanks for your help

Out of curiosity, I tried to download and install the WF 3.19.22 beta in a separate location from where I have the latest release, but appears the installer doesn't allow that unless you un-install. I assume this is on purpose

Regards, Jim