0.01 uF capacitor which one is it?

LevonFogel

Question

I am looking through my ADALP2000 Analog Parts kit and the chart says there are 2 0.01 uF capicitators.  I can't figure out which one that is?  I tried to measure several and many said 0L on my multi-meter even on auto-range or manual.  The photograph below show a pile on the left and right.  The pile on the left I confirmed by measurement they are not the 0.01 uF.  The ones on the right my multi-meter says 0L.  Help?cap7.thumb.jpg.6c0764165cec4ae610085a48d0f4c15a.jpgcap3.thumb.jpg.b13957e5d5b90780c2eecba9cee31933.jpg

1 answer to this question

Hi @LevonFogel,

Digilent does not manufacture or curate the ADALP2000 kit, but based on Analog Devices page https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/adalp2000/parts-index, you would need to be looking for one of the ceramic capacitors (these are the ones with the orangey-yellow or the blue semi-circular "heads" that have legs of equal length). The marking you would be looking for is 103 (10 x 10^3 pF = 10000 pF = 10 nF = 0.01 uF).

Unfortunately, based on the kit I have, it appears that the capacitor you are looking for is one of the blue ones which I am having a terrible time reading, even with attempting to take a high resolution picture with my phone and then zooming in to attempt to read the markings. (picture attached of the 10 nF / 0.01 uF that I found).

If you have the Analog Discovery 2, you can determine which one of the blue ceramic capacitors you need by using the Impedance Tool, selecting the Capacitance option, and using the W1-C1-DUT-C2-R-GND arrangement (where the unknown blue capacitor is the Device Under Test) with either a 100, 1k, or 10k Ohm resistor; doing a single run will give you a clean indication of if the ceramic capacitor is the one if you are looking for.

image.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

image.png