Analog Discovery 2 stopped working

timshirley-m

Question

Hi - my analog discovery 2 (SN: DB2882E) stopped working after a few days of use.  I tried a different USB port and a different computer.  I tried an external 5V supply... nothing.  crickets.  The LED doesn't even come on.

How do I get it fixed?  Or is there some resetty thing I can do to bring it back?  OR maybe there is a supply component that popped that I can replace?

3 answers to this question

Hi @timshirley-m

Does the device show up in the Windows Device Manager under USB Controllers "USB Serial Converter" ?

Are you using the USB cable that was originally shipped with the device? Have you tried other cables that you have on hand?

May I ask what was the last experiment you used the device for ? Have you used high voltage or external supplies ? 

For warranty and replacement, please contact the support.digilent @ ni.com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

USB enumeration - not anymore

USB cable, yes tried original and other cable

Last experiment was hooking to PSoC CY8CKIT-147 on the same computer (same root hub controller).  Waveform 1 was active driving into a comparator input, and Scope 1 was active reading port pin.  Nothing else was going on.  Ground for the Analog discovery was hooked to GND for dev kit.  All power was coming from the USB port (which still works with other peripherals).

Ferrite beads are located on the bottom of the PCB (as it is mounted in the case) parallel to the board edge, very close to the USB connector????

Hi @timshirley-m

Yes. The ferrite beds can be damaged if the device ground (or negative supply) is shorted to usb supply and the host/hub/port surge protection delays, or the ground is connected to an external supply rail. If the ferrite beds are popped it can be fixed with 0R or short. If the ground was shorted to external supply rail above 5V, other components could be damaged as well.