Can the ADP3450 output large size Arbitrary Waveform (1 Million samples+)?

Quincy

Question

Hi,

I've been playing around with the ADP3450 and am hoping to use it as a replacement for the NI-6115 DAQ since it is at the end of its lifecycle.

For my instrumentation requirements I need to simultaneously output an arbitrary waveform to an actuator and read an input at the same time. What I really liked about the 6115 was its relatively high ADC sampling rate (10MS/s) with a large buffer (16/32 MS) so I could do at least a few seconds of acquisition with great time resolution. It's DAC also had the same large buffer size so I could construct a few second long arbitrary waveform and do the synchronized I/O.

I was happy to find that the ADP3450 had higher bandwidth and bit depth for both ADC and DAC. I understand that the ADP3450 can record a large sample size with its 128 MS buffer, but I'm wondering if it can output an arbitrary waveform of the same size? It looks like it's limited to a 32 kS buffer.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Quincy said:

I understand that the ADP3450 can record a large sample size with its 128 MS buffer, but I'm wondering if it can output an arbitrary waveform of the same size?

To be more specific, you want to create and capture very long waveforms with contiguous samples ( no dropped samples ). What is your sample rate requirement and how  many samples long are your waveforms?

5 hours ago, zygot said:

To be more specific, you want to create and capture very long waveforms with contiguous samples ( no dropped samples ). What is your sample rate requirement and how  many samples long are your waveforms?

Yes exactly! Ideally I'd like to have the ADC/DAC be at least 10MS/s and capture/generate a second worth of data, so 10 million samples. Do you think that's doable with this platform, or should I be looking at a different solution?

Someone from Digilent will have to provide that answer as I don't have an ADP-3xxx instrument to test out; also it's their responsibility to answer such a question explicitly and clearly. I mainly posted a comment because I was thinking that your question needs more specificity in order to get a good answer. Lot's of buffers of disjointed samples are not the same as one long waveform of contiguous samples.

The following isn't necessarily relevant to your question because you seem to be looking for an instrument where the hardware and software provides a canned solution.

If I were to put a ZMOD ADC into one of the SYZYGY ports of my Eclypse-Z7 Brain-1** , a ZMOD DAC into a second port and an Opal Kelly Ethernet PHY pod in the other third port, it would certainly be possible to stream DAC stimulus in on the Ethernet PHY and simultaneously stream ADC data out through the same PHY at the sample rate that your application requires. In this scenario all of the functionality would be in the ZYNQ PL, and only a small amount of elastic buffering would be needed.. I've done this on FPGA platforms with external DDR3 where no processor was involved, and at a higher sample rate for 2 ADC and 2 DAC channels, with almost no waveform length restrictions. So, technically, a well designed FPGA based instrument should be able to do it.

I mentioned the Eclypse-Z7 because I suspect that it is similar to the ADP line in terms of hardware and architecture. A ZYNQ 7020 based platform should be capable of meeting your needs and at a higher sample rate, with 2 channels, and deeper waveform buffers.

[edit] When I originally wrote this I forgot that the Exlypse-Z7 only has 2 standard SYZYGY ports. The original SYZYGY FPGA carrier board from Opal Kelly, the Brain-1 has 3 standard SYZYGY ports and 1 Transceiver port. It is based on the Z7015 and has not been supported beyond the concept stage of it's crown-funded origins. But it does have a PS 1 GbE Ethernet and USB OTG Ethernet gadget capabilities. So even this lesser ZYNQ platform can be quite powerful if used intelligently.

Edited by zygot

Hi @Quincy

The ADP3X50 supports Scope Record (and Logic Analyzer) with DDRam buffering allowing to capture: 1ch 128MiS @ 125MHz, 2ch 64MiS @ 62.5MSps or 3-4ch 32MiS @ (up to) 31.25MSps. The Wavegen/ Play is for large number of samples (signal or AM, FM, PM, SUM). This uses USB streaming which limits the rate to about 500k-1MHz. We have plans to improve these, to have faster recording and DDRam buffering for Wavegen (DAC). Unfortunately I don't know when it will be ready. 
The EclypseZ7 Zmod development board can also be used with WaveForms, with similar capabilities, having twice as much DDRam. With Xilinx Zynq (C, HDL) knowledge this board could be customized for your needs.

image.png

image.png

image.png