Probe P6100 tip missing

asgard

Question

Hello,

I am confused by my probes. I wanted to to do a measurement with the tip and the ground spring. But after removing the hook tip I realized there was no tips on both probes. The datasheet show the tip and I have all the accessories that mount on it. I tried to pull lightly on the black part in the hook tip that fit on the probe ground cylinder thinking it was stuck in it but nothing is moving.

I can not find any information about a tipless version of the probe on the internet. Does anybody know what's wrong? Should I try to pull harder on the black part?

Regards

PXL_20230118_191546932.PORTRAIT (Small).jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi @asgard,

This is the first time I have ever seen such a thing and is almost certainly a manufacturing error. The hook of course should be visible when you push down on the top portion of the probe against the spring, but if it's simply not there then that is a problem.

image.png

If you purchased the probes from Digilent directly, please fill out the Sales and Order support form available on our Return Policy, https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#return-policy, to start the Return Merchandise Authorization process.

If you instead purchased the probes from a distributor (Mouser, RS Components, Newark, etc) you will need to work with them for their own RMA (I do not know what process they might have); they will then work separately with Digilent as needed.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @asgard,

Oh, I see what you are saying now. I suppose you could try pulling on the black plastic with more force, but even if you successfully get it out of the hook tip housing, getting it reconnected to probe itself is going to be a pain, plus there's the matter of ensuring proper electrical contact.
None of the five P6100 probes I found in the office have this issue you found (nor can I pull the probe tips out by force), which makes me more confident that this is a manufacturing error.

If you able to get the black plastic+probe tip pulled out the housing with pliers and reattached to the probe proper, great. If not, I would recommend pursuing an RMA.

Thanks,
JColvin