DT9829-8 Current Sensor Connection

Todd

Question

Hi,

I have a DT9829-8 and I am trying to connect a two wire 4-20 mA sensor.  I connected the two wires to the DT9829-8 per page Figure 10 on page 41.  I initially assumed the DAS would source voltage for the sensor but this morning I see the current source is external to the DT9829-8 in Figure 10.  I need to supply a source to my 4-20 mA Noshok series 100 sensor.  

What voltage source can I use? Table 31 on page 152 specifies 5V maximum @ 20mA and an input voltage maximum of ± 12 VDC and overvoltage projection at ± 15VDC. What source voltage can I use, anything between ± 5 VDC and ± 12 VDC?

Thanks,

Todd

2 answers to this question

Hello,

Use the highest value possible and that is a +12 volt power supply (PS). Connect the (+) PS to (+) sensor. Connect the (-)sensor to DT9829 (+) input. Connect (-)DT9829 input to (-)PS.  This way the current flows from the (+)PS through the sensor and into the DT9829 input returning  back to the (-)PS completing the loop. 

Best regards,

John

Thanks, that worked.  Initially I didn't have the mV/EU value correct as it was a different conversion than I initially expected.  Once corrected the 4-20mA pressure displayed the expected pressure range. 

Todd